Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having very weird problem on my laptop.I am using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 which I have reinstalled one month ago_One day I was listening the music in the Windows Media Player 9 like I usually do every day.Everything was working fine and then suddenly the music started to lag like hell.I restarted the computer and noticed that now even XP is loading slower then before.I turned ON the music and it was laggingoO
No matter which audio or video file I start,they lag and after 10 seconds they work fine.My CPU is normal 0% to 4% tops.Changes every second...
But I noticed that when I am playing the video in Windows Media Player,that the CPU jumps to even 40%:???:...holy sh!t:dead:
Anyway after 10 seconds it works fine,but then when I minimize the Windows Media Player window,it starts to lag again for a few seconds.This happens on ALL audio and video files I have.When I turn it off,the CPU is again on normal 0% to 4%.Also when XP starts,that welcome sound also lags:(

I scanned my computer for viruses,checked the disk for errors and defragment the disk,but it didn't help at all.And the funniest thing is that I wasn't even on the internet that day and previous day too so I didn't even download anything and I didn't install ANY program or changed ANY options in them or XP OS.

In short I didn't do ANYTHING.My laptop just started to lag for NO REASON.....................
My BIOS works fine and everything...I just can't find the reason that could be causing this.
I checked ALL the processes in the task manager and they all use 0% to 1% of the CPU,but then when I turn on the music or video,that process takes up to 40% of the CPU:dead:

Anyone here has ANY IDEA how to fix this problem?????????????????????oO

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't know about the problem on the cpu audio side while using windows player 9, but trying using a alternative just for music files, foobar2000 and see if that does it also, if that doesn't then it's just windows player 9, if not then it must be something hardware wise.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
id suggest using vlc player over media player myself, but did you recently update media player by any chance.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think that installing another software for audio and video won't help.I mean...EVERYTHING was working PERFECT and suddenly it started to lag in the middle of playing the music.What part of the hardware could cause this?I have the new HDD so maybe something else??

id suggest using vlc player over media player myself, but did you recently update media player by any chance.
Like I said,I didn't do ANYTHING.I didn't install anything,I didn't update anything,I didn't download anything,lol I wasn't even connected to the internet and I didn't change ANY settings in ANYTHING.
I mean...what the hell???!!!
Why is my CPU high and why sound lags?!Even when XP starts,that welcome sound lags and IT IS NOT played in Windows Media Player lol.
I opened the XP tour and here and there,the sound lags too :(

This is weird considering I didn't do ANYTHING...:???:

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Failing hardware = Increased CPU usage by the Interrupt host process.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not at my laptop right now,but do you really think that it's the hardware problem?Honestly I am afraid to even think on that...:(
But if it is,what part of the hardware can usually cause this?(Stupid question I know:D)

·
band
4,912 Posts
man reinstall the os,and see.
Wrong. Check if theres a hardware problem first by running diagnostics like the other member(s) have suggested. If its a hardware problem, re-installing likely won't do you any good because it'll be a bad install and the problem will either repeat itself or resurface.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I just tested my RAM memory for errors with MemTest 3.8.I left it to test it for about 2 days and it was at about 13800% of coverage and it didn't find ANY errors.So I guess that my RAM is ok and there is some other reason why my audio lags???
Any ideas??????:(

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
have you tried a reinstall yet?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Oh....

You haven't got Office installed and are using Microsoft update?, theres a flaw in the SP2 updater that causes the Wuauserv Service to use 100% cpu usage.

...if i can remember where the patches are for this i'll post them.. but its better you just create a SP3 slipstreamed XP disk and run a repair install (repairing the issue and updating to SP3 at the same time)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
have you tried a reinstall yet?
What's the point of that if I already did that month ago and didn't almost install anything.I wasn't even on the internet.For 1 month everything was working fine and now sound lags and windows XP is loading longer then before.

Oh....

You haven't got Office installed and are using Microsoft update?, theres a flaw in the SP2 updater that causes the Wuauserv Service to use 100% cpu usage.

...if i can remember where the patches are for this i'll post them.. but its better you just create a SP3 slipstreamed XP disk and run a repair install (repairing the issue and updating to SP3 at the same time)
I am not using Microsoft update at all.I turned off ALL automatic updates that I could the same day I installed XP.And I was always using SP2.I really don't think that updating to SP3 will help ehh...

Is there maybe some service in windows that I need to restart or enable or something?????

Is it possible that the PIO mode is enabled instead of the DMA mode???Lol...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I just checked those 2 IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and Channel 1 uses PIO mode even if the DMA is set to use it if available and Channel 2 uses the DMA mode.Tomorrow I will use the vacue cleaner and clean my laptop from dust lol even if there is not much of it ehh...:dead:

Any other suggestions on how to fix this problem???

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Candidate for thread of the year 2009 right here!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everything finally works normal again!!!:emb::emb::emb:All I had to do was to uninstall ATA Channel 1 and ATA Channel 2 in IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and restart my computer 2 times.

Still I don't understand why the ATA Channel 1 got on PIO mode if before was working in DMA mode:???:Doesn't make sense...maybe it wanted to prevent hardware from damage I don't know lol.But now everything works under DMA mode and nothing doesn't lag and XP is starting up much faster now.Musics and videos do not lag and everything works perfect.I was already afraid that I was gonna need to buy a new laptop.This one is 6 years old anyway...not so new so I thought the hardware started dying :dead:,but thank God I was thinking wrong:)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I hate to say it. but i definitely think the hardware is dieing. Windows automatically forces a device back to PIO when it has a number of failures at reading/writing to the drive or data corruption. If the drive is ok then it can only mean the interface is failing probably at the southbridge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts