Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i recently downloaded a .gme file from www.gamefaqs.com for ff9. ive changed the region to EU, converted it to .mcr, and written the correct sles_32965 code for the uk pal version of ff9. but still epsxe 1.5.2 doesnt read the saved game. can anyone help or tell me what im doing wrong?
ive tried the search but it hasnt helped...

· Registered
654 Posts
There could easily be differences in the save game internal data layout between the US and EU versions. That's why the GameShark/ActionReplay codes for the different regional versions of games are different.

What you've done is very much like taking a book written in French (US FF9 gamesave format), copying the contents into a blank book measured in inches instead of centimeters (convert to .mcr), writing the label on the spine in English (change region), and writing the book's title in English on the cover (writing the game code).

None of that would make the book readable by someone who only knows English (UK FF9).

I think you are unlikely to get what you want, short of someone who knows the gamesave internal formats writing a program to convert the save contents.

Dan

· Registered
183 Posts
I just downloaded a European English save for FFIX and the code was definitely SLES-02965
at any rate, I attempted to convert a PAL save to a US save using PSXMemtool and it failed too, so it is likely in a different save format. if you scroll down on the game saves list towards the bottom on gamefaqs, you will see there is a very good PAL save that should work for you.

Oh, and another note, in the header, value 128 in a PAL save is 77 and in a US save it is 6c, but changing that didn't fix it either.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im sure i can covnert it successfully because i did it a while bak. I already have psxgameedit and have used that to convert it to EU and SLES_32965 (disk 4). I cant find a working psxmemtool anywhere on the net either. can sumone post a link, thanks..

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
hushy ur link works an ive downloaded v 1.19b but when i run it it asks for pbvm60.dll. it is a missing file. what can i do
sorry problem solved. forgot to download runtime. :???:

Ive converted the memcards to .mcr and still the ff9 save is not read??
do i need to change the G ID or any other of the values in psxgameedit or psxmemtool

· Registered
183 Posts
I told you I converted it but unsuccessfully to a NTSC save from a PAL. There seems to be some difference that the game picks up that is in the data blocks, which likely means a structural difference. If there is a structural difference then there isn't much you can do, I'm afraid, short of breaking down the save format of BOTH systems and building a save from scratch.

Sorry I wasn't paying attention about the Visual Basic thing... I get questions like that a lot so it is a habitual answer.

· Registered
183 Posts
That is for games like FF8 that have unique identifiers only. FF9 has no identifier, so it is 00000-00

It is feasible to convert FF7 and FF8 saves between PAL and NTSC. Are you sure you have done this for FF9 before and not one of those?

· Registered
183 Posts
Ok for starters, each disc has a separate code:
Disc 1:SLES-02965 SLUS-01251
Disc 2:SLES-12965 SLUS-01295
Disc 3:SLES-22965 SLUS-01296
Disc 4:SLES-32965 SLUS-01297
So if you use 32965, you had probably better make sure that the save you are converting is for disc 4.

At any rate, i looked around, no documentation, and nobody has anything that says it can convert FF9 Saves. The PSXGameEdit page has a list of successfuly region-converted game saves, and FF9 is NOT on the list. I tried several other tools to convert EU to US save for FF9 and NOTHING worked, including several hex patches for the header.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Hi All, it's me ;)

PSXMemTool 1.19b has a new feature that will let you convert a saves region (right click the save and select 'Convert Region To..., then European, American, Japanese etc', but, FF9 does not work this way unfortunately.

Since I only had a few games to test I was not able to update my database of convertable saves (the Region Codes.txt file). So if you know of any games which do/do not convert successfully I would appreciate if you could email me with the details so I can update the file.

Thanks in advance :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.