Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize it's probably going to have a hefty price tag since it's a corporate level filtering software, but from what I've heard it's the best.

I'm interested in buying or building a cheap box and buying a hub, me and my mother are looking into filtering software because my little sister doesn't know how to listen and stay off of things she's not supposed to be on.

My sister isn't technologically knowledgeable like the rest of my family, so she wouldn't know how to get around it if there was even a way.

I've already tried OpenDNS, but it causes a crapload of problems with our ISP which is satellite through Hughesnet.

I am just wonder if anyone is familiar with the pricing on the websense filtering software, which is why I named the thread title as such since I expect it to be outrageously expensive.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
I wouldnt recommend it personally. From what i hear it is pretty expensive, and thats what our school systems use. There are so many loops around the blocks and firewalls its not even funny. A simple proxy lets you by...

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
youd be better off teaching your sister what not to go on. read the history and if she went somewhere, slap her or something

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking for more of a server side software, if it has to be installed on the PC itself chances are it can easily be bypassed or disabled.

I was interested in Websense because from what I heard it is the best, upon reading about it I found it blocks access to proxies and other common methods used to get around filters.

Upon thinking about it the sad realization is that this software probably costs a grand and half a life's pension, more than a high end gaming PC or server.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Well you said your sister isn't very knowledgeable at computers so it'd unlikely she'd be able to disable the software. I believe you set a password that you need to disable the software or change the settings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.