Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Perhaps you could sooth some fears by assuring the us you won't ever be limiting edit times for posts.

Spending significant amount of time on a forum, its possible you may eventually make some posts you later regret or wish to remove or edit. People and opinions change. For example (not saying this is me) but perhaps someone makes a remark about a religion, gender, race, or sexual orientation, or made a really untasteful joke in the spam forum. Then they grow & mature a fair bit and later wanted to remove it. Never being able to remove that post and always having that post forever linked to you might cause a number of sleepless nights. People learn, grow and mature and societal acceptance of things change. Nobodies perfect everyone makes mistakes.

For example certain comments about women that were acceptable and fairly common place and standard back in the 90s or even early 2000 are no longer acceptable and may be viewed as chauvinistic.

Another was back in the 90s most adult guys were openly saying they found young 17yr old Anna Kournikova physically attractive and she was openly dating 29 year old Hockey superstar Sergei Federov at the time and nobody had a problem with that. A year ago saying you found any level of attraction to 176yr old Hayden Panettiera and you automatically get finger pointing of being a perverted criminal.

Who knows what will and will not become acceptable in future years, and we may wish to disassociate ourselves from our comments in the future.

This isn't just a potential problem for guys but for females as well.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
it needed the offtopicness for a few second to give everyone breathing room.

"omg, wtf squall is thinking calmly the world will end"

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
redlofredlof - I thought so.

PCXL - if you really regret something later on, there's usually an admin willing to help out. And you can still edit the posts (I'm really not sure if there's going to be a time limit on that or not)

*gasp!*

hm, true.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
You're still special, no-one "outweirds" you :p
Whew. I got worried there for a second. As long as I stay the weirdest person and the person who hits it from the back the most, then everything is ok. :) Carry on people. Nothing to see here. Move along. Everything is back to normal.

·
4,713 Posts
we can still edit the posts, can't we?
Obviously I never suggested we couldn't in the first sentence of my post. I'm just asking if we can be ensured that an edit time limit won't ever be implemented while NGemu is under the Crowdgathering helm.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
I don't think they would do that, edit option is for correcting spelling mistakes and similar stuff so why mess with that.

·
4,713 Posts
See but Tsirk was talking about a 'TIME LIMIT' on edits. So we would have a limit to how long we can edit posts.

Editing usually has a time limit as well. Long enough that you can fix a typo or other error, but not so long that it should disrupt the conversation.
Then Schumi and some others talked about why a time limit on editting posts would be undesireable, and then i added more reasons why it would be undesireable in my second last post.

We aren't concerned about the complete inability to edit posts. That will obviously never happen. But instead what we are talking about is the possibility of the new admins implementing some time limit for editing our posts.

·
.:Enigmatic Protagonist:.
2,283 Posts

"omg, wtf squall is thinking calmly the world will end"
Just noticed that, WTF is happening to you.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Users can no longer delete their own posts. That's something we don't allow on any of our forums.

It's not cool. Disrupts the conversation. Someone posts something, people reply to it, user deletes it, people come in and don't know wtf is going on and it makes the thread confusing.
Well, I don't think it was the best decision to take. I don't agree with you.... but there are enough posts against your decision already.

BTW:

Hi.
My name is Hugo, I'm 20, brazilian and a member of Ngemu since 2006.

I don't like:
- chicken,
- baseball,
- linux,
- Ford,
- puking (Each time it's different. Isn't that funny?).

I like:
- fish,
- soccer,
- Windows,
- Nintendo Wii,
- music,
- chocolate.

Now that you know me, please:

http://forums.ngemu.com/open-discussion/62453-new-members-introduce-yourselves-here.html

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
Well, I don't think it was the best decision to take. I don't agree with you.... but there are enough posts against your decision already.

BTW:

Hi.
My name is Hugo, I'm 20, brazilian and a member of Ngemu since 2006.

I don't like:
- chicken,
- baseball,
- linux,
- Ford,
- puking (Each time it's different. Isn't that funny?).

I like:
- fish,
- soccer,
- Windows,
- Nintendo Wii,
- music,
- chocolate.

Now that you know me, please:

http://forums.ngemu.com/open-discussion/62453-new-members-introduce-yourselves-here.html
Lol. I see wut u did thar. ;) Nice.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
Perhaps you could sooth some fears by assuring the us you won't ever be limiting edit times for posts.

Spending significant amount of time on a forum, its possible you may eventually make some posts you later regret or wish to remove or edit. People and opinions change. For example (not saying this is me) but perhaps someone makes a remark about a religion, gender, race, or sexual orientation, or made a really untasteful joke in the spam forum. Then they grow & mature a fair bit and later wanted to remove it. Never being able to remove that post and always having that post forever linked to you might cause a number of sleepless nights. People learn, grow and mature and societal acceptance of things change. Nobodies perfect everyone makes mistakes.

For example certain comments about women that were acceptable and fairly common place and standard back in the 90s or even early 2000 are no longer acceptable and may be viewed as chauvinistic.

Another was back in the 90s most adult guys were openly saying they found young 17yr old Anna Kournikova physically attractive and she was openly dating 29 year old Hockey superstar Sergei Federov at the time and nobody had a problem with that. A year ago saying you found any level of attraction to 176yr old Hayden Panettiera and you automatically get finger pointing of being a perverted criminal.

Who knows what will and will not become acceptable in future years, and we may wish to disassociate ourselves from our comments in the future.

This isn't just a potential problem for guys but for females as well.
this is one thing i would go against as well, as it just does not sound logical imo. however we have to realize that one change to the forums does not mean there will be others. on the other hand, its also true that one change does not mean there wont be others either. but what matters right now is that we have not been specifically told that the editing will be time-limited or anything like that and until/unless we do, i dont think we should freak out over it.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
See but Tsirk was talking about a 'TIME LIMIT' on edits. So we would have a limit to how long we can edit posts.

Then Schumi and some others talked about why a time limit on editting posts would be undesireable, and then i added more reasons why it would be undesireable in my second last post.

We aren't concerned about the complete inability to edit posts. That will obviously never happen. But instead what we are talking about is the possibility of the new admins implementing some time limit for editing our posts.
time limit is the time in which you can edit your new post and it will not contain the words [last edited userABCD time and date].
so if they remove that you will still be able to edit your post but each time you do that the small text with your edit detail will show up.
It won't matter if you edit it within 1sec or after 1hour.

·
4,713 Posts
time limit is the time in which you can edit your new post and it will not contain the words [last edited userABCD time and date].
so if they remove that you will still be able to edit your post but each time you do that the small text with your edit detail will show up.
It won't matter if you edit it within 1sec or after 1hour.
uggg. no. thats not what we're talking about.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Hm ive been absent for a while around here. So you cant delete posts anymore?? Kinda stupid imo. but its not my privilege to say so.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
First of all, the original admin team did not decide on this. Our new "owners" decided to do this because they want us to be like everyone else.

You got your no deleting posts and bigger avatars....no sense in keeping this open

101 - 120 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.