Next Generation Emulation banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Site Admin
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for this all, it helps me best work to develop our new features. I get the desire for nostalgia, I get the comfort of the familiar. I don't want to strip that away. The site upgrade was not a push for suped up modernity for the sake of modernity. Many background functions on the old software were dependant on 3rd party software and hobbled by some really striking issues that put some information at risk. Security and safety were key here. And while we may get hit with the same spam that is present on older variations of forums, the data at the core of it is better protected. From this protective shell we can build, grow, change, develop in a multitude of different ways with a many different options.

Rather than redecorating the room the way we had it, would y'all feel comfortable with allusions and homages to the way it was. There is no right answer here for me, so I want to know what it is for you. It is the Neopets vs Newgrounds idea (Not the only two sites to do so, but I enjoy the alliteration) Neopets has barely changed their layout since they launched in 1999, and it looks it on the website. This is good to some who hold the nostalgia, but also less and less useable to others. Newgrounds regularly updates their site, with a major facelift in 2018, and most recently last month. Visiting the site still feels comfortable for those who haven't visited in years, but still "modern" enough to not deter others. Both lean into the idea of nostalgia, both do so very differently. If you're asking us to promote that which would you prefer to see.

This won't be able to be answered by one person, but when you answer, please let me know what features I could work to replicate (or at least attempt to).

-Gerrit

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,462 Posts
To maintain the "old school" vibe, I suggest adding a theme that just changes the colors. The [email protected] picture link in my signature uses the old colors that I matched using gimp and a lossless screenshot of the site.

Speaking of sigs, the new signature limitations are pretty hobbling. I tried to update my sig a few weeks ago and I couldn't save my changes due to too many links and then too many lines. My current (3/13/20) sig was in use before the change.

I think this was mentioned before, but we used to have options for font style and font size in the reply boxes.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
It's so w-w-w-w-white!

And so b-b-b-b-black!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts