Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a newbie. and i heard abt the "savestates" and "memcards"
Assume i juz downloaded epsxe 1.4.
Can someone explain to mi how i should go abt "saving" a game?
wat r the keys to note?
also, ive fiddle with the epsxecutor. it has this slot 1 and slot 2 thingy. so meaning i can onli save in 2 slots in one game?
If i run another game, will it "overwrite" the 2 slots that was defined?

epxse newbie

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
well, the two slots u are reffering are the memory cards (like a real playstation, it has only two slots)

In ePSXe cutor just go in the memory card pannel and create as many empty cards as u want.(don t forget to select them tough)
so, no it won t overwrite the saves whan u cahnge a game.

The save states can be used in the gameplay, whenever u are in the game. U can save using F1; switching the slot using F2 (there are max 5 save states per game.) and load one of them using F3
if u are using pete OGL press the DELETE button to see a pic of ur save state.

Bye

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Rargh
well, the two slots u are reffering are the memory cards (like a real playstation, it has only two slots)

In ePSXe cutor just go in the memory card pannel and create as many empty cards as u want.(don t forget to select them tough)
so, no it won t overwrite the saves whan u cahnge a game.

The save states can be used in the gameplay, whenever u are in the game. U can save using F1; switching the slot using F2 (there are max 5 save states per game.) and load one of them using F3
if u are using pete OGL press the DELETE button to see a pic of ur save state.

Bye

hey thanks. but something to clarify. u mentioned that there are max 5 save states per game. so if i onli select, say onli slot one, while leaving slot 2 empty.....it is still 5 save states? in other words, the save states r not dependent on how many slots u select?

if it is dependent, then how it divide the 5 save states into the 2 slots?
slot 1 = 2 and slot 2 =3 save states?

kinda confuse on tis part

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
weeeelll it s a bit confusing for me, so i ll try to answer ur questions:

>>>so if i onli select, say onli slot one, while leaving slot 2 empty.....it is still 5 save states?

U see, u don t need (and u can t) configure the saves states u re using.Changing the contents of a save by saving on it will erase the previous one situed on that slot.( oh i think u meant that saves states are limited, didn t u? correct me if i m wrong. no they ren t)

>>>if it is dependent, then how it divide the 5 save states into the 2 slots?

Ah.U re confusing too.
U thought that the two slots i was referring before were the saves states (in fact, that s just an english word problem: SLOTS ;) )
Listen (or read), the two first SLOTS are the memory cards one.
it contains 15 free blocks and it s as a real psx memory card.
(it s just the way, u are usually using in a psx!)
U can put 2 memory cards on the emu (once again like a real playstation).

For the saves states: Its an EXTRA FEATURE that the emu provides. U have 5 Save states slots which u can load and save freely.Understood?

If not play Zsnes, u should be able to see what i mean by pressing the the F3 button while playing Zsnes.

Hope u will understand (it is a bit hard for me)

And corrct me if i m wrong (hope i m not tottaly :\ )

bye

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
weeeelll it s a bit confusing for me, so i ll try to answer ur questions:

>>>so if i onli select, say onli slot one, while leaving slot 2 empty.....it is still 5 save states?

U see, u don t need (and u can t) configure the saves states u re using.Changing the contents of a save by saving on it will erase the previous one situed on that slot.( oh i think u meant that saves states are limited, didn t u? correct me if i m wrong. no they ren t)

>>>if it is dependent, then how it divide the 5 save states into the 2 slots?

Ah.U re confusing too.
U thought that the two slots i was referring before were the saves states (in fact, that s just an english word problem: SLOTS ;) )
Listen (or read), the two first SLOTS are the memory cards one.
it contains 15 free blocks and it s as a real psx memory card.
(it s just the way, u are usually using in a psx!)
U can put 2 memory cards on the emu (once again like a real playstation).

For the saves states: Its an EXTRA FEATURE that the emu provides. U have 5 Save states slots which u can load and save freely.Understood?

If not play Zsnes, u should be able to see what i mean by pressing the the F3 button while playing Zsnes.

Hope u will understand (it is a bit hard for me)

And corrct me if i m wrong (hope i m not tottaly :\ )

bye

thanks for making the effort 4 explaining ! so save states are an "extra" feature. But if it's an extra feature, then wat's the purpose of 2 "memory cards" in the epsecutor?? yep, as u said, it's like in a real PS, and i thot the memory cards are used so that u can save games?? If as u said, there's no link between them, then y the need for "memory cards" in the emu? pls enlighten :)

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
memcards were the only way to save before savestates came along..... plus using memcards seems to be a little safer than using savestates..... Or you can use both savestates and memcards so you will be at less risk to lose your saves..... everygame you play can have up to 5 savestates..... everygame you play can also have as many memcards as you want since you can changes memcards so easily in epsxe executor..... just move slot1 and slot2 to different memcards you created....... Remember to format your created memcards too or they won't work....... If you run into trouble while playing a game and you cant save or the controllers don't work....... press f4 twice.........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by fivefeet8
memcards were the only way to save before savestates came along..... plus using memcards seems to be a little safer than using savestates..... Or you can use both savestates and memcards so you will be at less risk to lose your saves..... everygame you play can have up to 5 savestates..... everygame you play can also have as many memcards as you want since you can changes memcards so easily in epsxe executor..... just move slot1 and slot2 to different memcards you created....... Remember to format your created memcards too or they won't work....... If you run into trouble while playing a game and you cant save or the controllers don't work....... press f4 twice.........
i see. if the f1-f3 keys are for save states, how do i save stuff in the mem cards. wat r the keys? also, wat does pressing f4 twice do?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well, like i said, U re saving ur game w/ the memory cards inside of it(the game ;) )
There are like check points or save games options (each game his his own way of saving!)

Well, the f4 button has become the f7 button in the version 1.4.0 of ePSXe. (f4 button is enabling the SIO irq in this one)
When u have a problem in a specific game (the freeze in chrono cross for example) Press F7 twice...The problem will be solved...

Glad to help u.

bye

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, like i said, U re saving ur game w/ the memory cards inside of it(the game ;) )
There are like check points or save games options (each game his his own way of saving!)

Well, the f4 button has become the f7 button in the version 1.4.0 of ePSXe. (f4 button is enabling the SIO irq in this one)
When u have a problem in a specific game (the freeze in chrono cross for example) Press F7 twice...The problem will be solved...

Glad to help u.

bye

thanks! tink i got a clearer pic now. save states r used anytime u want (f1-f3). And mem cards run like in real PS. Some games will have save game "screens" during certain part of game, and when u select save IN the game, it saves in the mem cards.
But there's something quite puzzling. I did try using save states and it work. but when i change to another game or reboot pc, i cant reload the saved state anymore. how come?:confused:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well, (it becomes very clear like u said now ;) )
F3 button is used for loading state ( but u already knew that)
If u re saving on the same save state slot, the previous save (situed on the same save state slot of course) will be overwritten.

So if u have already state saved (for example) in a game, then rebooted or changed game, and rewrite the same slot at an earlier point of the game, it s pretty normal that U ren t able to load ur previous ss which was far advanced.
That s why 5 save states slots have been made: U could always do an error.

Have u well understood? ;)

Bye

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, (it becomes very clear like u said now ;) )
F3 button is used for loading state ( but u already knew that)
If u re saving on the same save state slot, the previous save (situed on the same save state slot of course) will be overwritten.

So if u have already state saved (for example) in a game, then rebooted or changed game, and rewrite the same slot at an earlier point of the game, it s pretty normal that U ren t able to load ur previous ss which was far advanced.
That s why 5 save states slots have been made: U could always do an error.

Have u well understood? ;)

Bye

er...no. i din overwrite a previous one. when i reboot, the "load" slots option (i.e slot1,slot2,etc) are not clickable! (i.e dull colored)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
oh i see now, well i ve never tried to change those slots by this way.

Just press the DELETE button during the game and u will be able to see (at the right of the bar) a number.(up to 5: there are the save states slots) Switch between them w/ the F2 button during the game!

It s simple.Give it a try ;)

Bye

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh i see now, well i ve never tried to change those slots by this way.

Just press the DELETE button during the game and u will be able to see (at the right of the bar) a number.(up to 5: there are the save states slots) Switch between them w/ the F2 button during the game!

It s simple.Give it a try ;)

Bye
del button? hmm....i assume u are using pete's open gl. anyway, my savestates are running fine now. hehe. thanks 4 the help manz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts