Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was the technology a solid way to make PS3 games better or keep the system more expensive and therefore sell less than the Wii or the 360?

I don't care for the PS3, but I'm not big on Blu Ray either and not many PS3 games interest me. Still I'm interested in PS3 gamers' opinions about how they feel regarding their console and how those who chose other systems feel about the PS3....

This thread is NOT about bashing the PS3, rather discussing the Blu Ray player in relation to the console...

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
i havent used a ps3, but i would assume it was a good thing, since it allowed the games to fit on one disk, instead of having alot of multi disk games (which irritate the hell out of me, damn you change disk screens)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
It's just another thing going for it, especially if you have the money for a Full HD TV. I'm not saying it's needed for the games, but it is an added value.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
I think it was a good idea to put the blu-ray optical drive. It was what made me get it in the first place, to play 1080p movies. It just makes the value of the console a much greater bargain for what you are really getting. I can pay $699 for a gaming console, with blu-ray, or I can pay $1000 (at the time) for a stand alone blu-ray player. From a cost point for the consumer, it was a good idea.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Multidisk games don't bother me, and I have no interest in watching the epic failures they call "movies" these days in high definition so personally, blu-ray has done nothing to increase my interest in buying a PS3 - and because of the higher pricing point caused by it has made me less likely to get one.

And blue-ray becomes an even bigger epic fail for me because my TV doesn't support HDCP.

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Very good idea given i wouldn't dish out $400 for just a ps3... but I've considered it on multiple occasions because it has both and i have an hdtv. I think it was good but warded me off just because i can't spend $400 on games without feeling bad

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yes. Sony adding a DVD drive to the PS2 was a good move too. We may all hate Sony to a certain level, but there's no denying they're one of the big guns to set the trend.
Or break them, if it's not in their vision that no one else, not even their own fanboys, understand.

It's a weird company, the PS3 launch was a disaster, beating their chest like a gorilla on steroids while delivering a dud compared to the hype created. The only place where it sold well is the place they're constantly shafting with everything: Europe. They're the type of company I despise, but in the end they deliver quality products, which is why I would buy them. Not only with consoles, but their cameras are nice as well, and their TV's are among the best on the market.

Now where's our pricedrop?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, they are using the same strategy that they used with the PS2/DVD. Although it helped Sony win the war against HD-DVD, what I am hearing now is that people are not buying Blu-Ray's anyway; seems like there is not a compelling enough reason to upgrade from DVD.

So was it a good idea to add Blu-Ray to the PS3? It doesn't seem so, but time will tell.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Well, back then when I first heard about the PS3 I'm thinking that it's too expensive and could drive the system's price too high for most consumers.

For now, I still think the same, but in a lesser extent, think but perhaps it will pay off in the near future, I hope it isn't too late by that time.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
To me the addition of a Blu-Ray drive was not a good idea... reasons??? well i can list few here:

1. i can live with multiple discs because as a Final Fantasy Fan it didn´t bothered me to swap 3/4 discs to finish FF7, FF8, FF9 on my PS1 which was fun as hell.

2. i have a full HD-TV and the quality of the movies are great but not that i really care because they are slightly better than DVDs. also there are too many great compression technologies nowdays that does the same and doesn´t require an expensive Blu-Ray disk.

3. in other hands i think the integration of the drive was a good idea but probably too early as HD-TV is growing but not big enough still.

4. The technology behind the drive just as CD or DVD in the past is still too pre-mature and therefore too slow to be usable atm as required.

5. Just as other medias Blu-Ray disks are still to expensive to buy and honestly Hollywood is producing crap atm.. only few movies are worth the time to watch them.

6. Is also a bad idea because with the crisis many countries are suffering now its not possible to spend the money required to buy a PS3 and the expensive games that are available for it. so again.. wrong time for that technology.

well that´s my point of view but i think few of you probably share my view.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
7. Backuping a game for the PS3 sucks (not to mention there's no way to play backups atm which is another reason why the PS3 has low sales and why it sucks).

PS: no i do not encourage pricay in anyway with this post.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
6. Is also a bad idea because with the crisis many countries are suffering now its not possible to spend the money required to buy a PS3 and the expensive games that are available for it. so again.. wrong time for that technology.
Indeed. The PS2 took off really well here a year or so after it first came out, not so much with the PS3, instead people are looking to get gaming PCs instead (since the 360 is also out of the question in the searing heat here).

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
no, blue ray won because hd dvd sucked.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
HD DVD had a head start in the high definition video market as Blu-ray Disc sales were slow to gain market share. The first Blu-ray Disc player was perceived as expensive and buggy, and there were few titles available.[33] This changed when PlayStation 3 launched, since every PS3 unit also functioned as a Blu-ray Disc player. At CES 2007 Warner proposed Total Hi Def which was a hybrid disc containing Blu-ray on one side and HD DVD on the other but it was never released. By January 2007, Blu-ray discs had outsold HD DVDs,[34] and during the first three quarters of 2007, BD outsold HD DVDs by about two to one. In a June 28, 2007 press release Twentieth Century Fox cited Blu-ray Disc's adoption of the BD+ anti-copying system as a key factor in their decision to support the Blu-ray Disc format.[35][36] In February 2008, Toshiba withdrew its support for the HD DVD format, leaving Blu-ray as the victor.[37]
Research. I do it.
Stating opinion as fact. You do it.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Research. You fail at it.

Sony has more fundage to throw at RnD then the 3 **** in league for HD DVD did combined.

They also happen to snatch up some of the best and brightest when it comes to media evolution.

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
I think it was too early to put BD into PS3 but the early launch of Xbox 360 forced Sony's hand. Yes, they won the HD war and are reaping the rewards, but I have no doubt that PS3 itself would sell much better witnout BD because the cost of one would be much lower. They won one war but are losing another.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Research. You fail at it.

Sony has more fundage to throw at RnD then the 3 **** in league for HD DVD did combined.

They also happen to snatch up some of the best and brightest when it comes to media evolution.
Which amounts to nothing if you can't peddle it to the masses. That's where the PS3 came in.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.