Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warhammer 40,000 Winter Assault is an expansion pack to the RTS game Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War.

Winter Assault is different from other RTS games on the market where as you don’t waste time sending peons chopping lumber or gathering gold. The main focus of Winter Assault is to send your troops to beat the stuffing out from the enemy army forces.

The newest feature in the game is the Imperial Guard, the military branch which that forms the backbone of the Imperium. The Imperial Guard consist of mostly normal human beings.

Winter Assault single player campaign is better than the Dawn of War single player campaign because you get to play more than one race at a time (Chaos, Eldar, Imperial Guard and Orks).

The music and voice acting in Winter Assault isn’t as good as ones in Dawn of War but it’s sufficient.

One noticeable flaw in this game is the pathfinding is not so good. If there are too many units bunched together they sometimes don’t move when you want them to. This occurs frequently with the larger units.

The best aspect of Winter Assault is the graphics. The graphics are very detail and beautiful. You can zoom right up to the characters' faces.

If there is one thing to get from the Winter Assault experience is using the super mega Baneblade tank. The Baneblade makes the Space Marine’s Landraider look like a plastic toy.

I might put up more screenshots, but I’m having too much fun with this game!

· 8+ Years
2,800 Posts
looks nice! hows the gameplay?

· General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sera said:
and you've run this on your p3/gf2mx rig right? :p

What's the system requirements anyway? I've been wanting to play this one but I'm having doubts on how it will perform on my 'celeron'. :(
Yes, the game runs on my P3 733 with my Geforce 2 MX card. But notice the single digit for the frame rate when I turn on the higher graphic settings.

From the readme.txt file:
Code:
2. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM

Windows(R) 98/2000/XP/ME
	DirectX 9.0c (included on disc)
	1.8 GHz Pentium III or equivalent AMD Athlon XP processor
	256 MB RAM (512 MB required for 8-player multiplayer games)	
	1.3 GB free hard drive space for installation
	4x CD-ROM
	32 MB DirectX(R) 9.0c compatible AGP video card with Hardware Transform and Lighting
	DirectX(R) 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card
	Keyboard, Mouse

RECOMMENDED

2.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent
	512 MB System RAM (required for 8-player multiplayer games)
	nVidia GeForce 3 or ATI Radeon 8500 or equivalent with 64 MB of Video RAM.

REQUIRED FOR MULTIPLAYER

1 disc/player per computer
	Internet: Broadband, or 56k connection for online multiplayer play
	Network: TCP/IP compliant network
You might be out of luck with your Celeron machine.

ToM_E said:
looks nice! hows the gameplay?
Excellent.

The game is fast paced. It does feel you are fighting an epic war battle with all these guys running around and fighting. (Unlike Warcraft III)

You get a rush when your guys shout out battle phrases like, "Storm them!" or "Space Marines Attack!"

This the only game I know where you can get War World II looking tanks to square off against a giant demon monster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.