Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having difficulties keeping defending my bases against the undead attacks when I'm playing against the A.I. on normal in Warcraft III: Frozen Throne.

I can defend my base reasonable well against an undead ground attack with burrows and towers.

It's when the A.I. brings in air forces like Frost Wyrms and Gargoyles that my defenses fall apart. The Frost Wyrms would just freeze up my burrows and towers so that it can't fire back and the undead ground melee forces just smash them to bits.

How do I counter against air support like Frost Wyrms?

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Don't rely on static defenses in Warcraft 3. Just focus on your heroes and units and use them to defend your base. Just remember to always have at least one town portal scroll on you so you can teleport your army back to your base when it's under siege. The best you can do with town defenses is to just make it difficult for the enemy to get in and out (create a barrier using your buildings with towers in the inside and have only one exit- and entry-way).

To counter air-born units always have a couple of Raiders with the Ensnare ability and use the Hex and Serpent Ward abilities of the Shadow Hunter (if youre using him). Vex is a cheap, fast, and effective polymorph spell and the Serpent Wards do heavy piercing damage and are immune to magic so they are perfect for Frost Wyrms and any other magic-attack units. Having Wind Riders (with Envenomed Spear) also helps tremendously with air defense.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to start leaving a few berserkers behind at my town.

I find that when I'm attacking the undead's town, the undead forces are destroying my town.

To add more insult I find that the undead forces on their bases are strong enough, so I can't finish the town off.

What's a better seige unit? Raiders or Catapults?

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
The only thing difficult about Undead towns are the Spirit Towers. It's best to keep your heroes at the front lines when attacking so they can absorb the hits (static defense towers always go for heroes). A Tauren Chieftain is really helpful when attacking towns as he can take a lot of hits, and if he has his ultimate ability he can resurrect himself if he falls. You can also set up a couple of Healing Wards to keep everyone healthy and use the Shadow Hunter's Healing Wave when anyone takes too much damage. I generally don't use any siege unit for my army, as I like taking on enemy units, not buildings (I live for BIG battles ^_^).

I believe Catapults would be the stronger siege units, although Raiders are more practical. I like to use the Ensnare ability to trap enemy heroes as they are running away and pick them off:p.

I generally don't find the Undead that difficult with the Orcs. I believe they can amass the largest army in the game but it's just makes the Far Seer's Chain Lightning and the Tauren Chieftain's Shockwave that much more effective;). Their crappy land units don't stand a chance against the Orc's ground might and their Frost Wyrms are slow and clumsy (Hex works wonders against them). If you're worried about enemy attacks then set up some Sentry Wards (Witch Doctor ability) around your base or use the Far Seer's Far Sight ability.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
If you need to take down a base with orcs, use catapults. Raiders are nice for ensnare and hit-and-run in expansions, but the lack the damage output and range of cats. As DG mentioned, you can use TC for tanking, but if you're going to do this get him as first hero and creep hard. IMO he's rather underpowered at lower levels, but becames a monster later.

As for dealing with Frost Wyrms, I usually just Hex them, since it's unlikely they'll have more than a couple. :p If you have to fight a lot of air with orc, try mass Berserkers with Lust/Ward/Link. Zerkers are easily massed, and when combined with the Orc's spells are very hard to kill and can do mad damage.

[]s Badaro

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find that the A.I. likes to send out a Dread Lord, Gargoyles, one Infernal, one Frost Wyrm, one or two Abominations, a group of Ghouls, Crypt Fiends, one Obsidian Statue, and maybe a Necromancer.

The most annoying unit is the Dread Lord. He puts my units asleep and summons an infernal to kick my butt.

How do I beat this combo?

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I simply rush at the enemy with my units and provide support with my heroes. My Tauren Chieftain usually takes most of the damage and I always keep my eye on him so I can heal him with Healing Wave or pull him out if he's in trouble. I also regularly cast Chain Lightning and Shockwave and have a couple of Healing Wards setup. My units usually know what to do and they do it very well. I find Orcs are easy to keep alive and usually come out of battles with very little casualties (I consider it a heavy loss if I lose 5 units).

I find the only really powerful unit the Undead have is the Frost Wyrm and the computer only uses a couple of them. Ghouls and Crypt Fiends go down pretty fast against the likes of Grunts and Taurens (especially with bloodlust on). It's rare that I find a computer that's advanced enough to have an Infernal but the Orc ground units and heroes should be more than powerful enough to defeat him. Just keep an eye on your units and keep the alive and healthy. Heal those who have taken a lot of damage and cast Chain Lightning and Shockwave whenever you can to maximize your damage potential.

BTW, what's your handle on b.net and where do you play? Maybe we can play a round against the computer or something?

·
Registered
907 Posts
i had some 4vs4 match seeing an Orc guy using the shadow hunter and trolls
when he reached lv 6 O_O
he did unbelievable controls , put his hero in a way so that other ground units counldn´t get near him and almost took out 3 enmy armys O_O
WOOT what a guy ^^
cool micro
wbr Shin Gouki

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Yeah, Big Bad Voodoo is a pretty awesome spell (as long as you protect the Shadow Hunter optimally). It's pretty devastating when done inside an enemy base. In open fields you can just walk away from it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
In Regards to Undead. Undead PC becomes "extremely" powerful if you let them operate 3rd tier long enough. Paticularly due to air units. Orcs also probably have some of the weakest air support in game.

When I play with orcs against undead. I usually go for a quick kill. As many have said. Orc defensive capabilities verses undead is rather weak. Paticularly with orcs weak air defense. Orcs also have a similar problem against any race once they start mounting an air defense. Humans + Griffs verses orcs is extremely annoying.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Man.. Makes me wanna play wc3 with demigod/Badaro again. Two of the better warcraft players..

Of course I suck.. But I love mah humans ;p I studied them. And can win with humans in just about any strategy now. ;p

*Edit* Oh one other thing. Static defenses "Usually" wont be a playing factor in winning the game. Your static defenses matter most in tier1/tier 2. By tier 3 they will not save you at all. Also be sure to build bases defensively early on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, why havent bat riders been suggested here? They do great damage against air units and also got extreme splash damage. Frost wyrms gives you alot of xp when they die, not to mention the amount of money lost from making wyrms :p However, take down the fiends fast, if there are any.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts