Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· カラム
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally upgraded my PC, except for my Video card. Well, the specs are in the sig. I just need help choosing a video card. So then I could save up for it.

Can you help?
Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
wait that's your NEW PC? uhhhh...i had a better rig than that over a year and a half ago, and when i got my new stuff (2500+ @ 2.15 ghz, geforce FX5600,1gb ram, SB audigy) it was already old at the time.

i hope you got all that stuff for less than $200. especially considering that holiday sales are coming up and new processors and videocards are going down drastically in price.

· カラム
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't need much of an upgrade, and I don't need big rigs with AMD64's and 6600GT's and better (just yet!). And it was indeed less than $200.

· カラム
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Any more recommendations?

· Registered
6,829 Posts
whoa man! congrats! :D I think mine pc will need to wait some more... santa claus won't be a nice old man to me this year.. :(:p
serioulsy, I would get a FX5700 or FX5900 if you can't afford with the 6600GT. More 512mb to ram? Well, I don't see why more 512mb if you won't run heavy applications or high-end games. But more 512mb isn't bad either ;)

· カラム
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK. I will look into another stick. Right now I'm looking at a used FX5800 Ultra with a CoolerMaster CoolViva on it :D for $140 or more. Yup, that's how expensive the stuff is here.

· Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
If you dont remove all thoes smilies yourself, im going unleash a smilie holocaust on your sig. ;)

· カラム
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright then, lol.

· Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
I think you gotta increase your buget options.
Your *com* is really out.

512MB RAM isn't enough. Multiply that by 4 times.
Get 250GB SATA HDDs. They are cheap enough.
Get a Althon64.

Your computer wouldn't last for 2 years. :/

(Not meant as a insult, but its really worn down.)

· Registered
608 Posts
Um... are you in the states? If so, Newegg has 6600gt agp/pci-e either one for $99 after rebate. I really wouldn't pay $140 for a fx5800ultra. You should be able to get something like 5900xt or equivalent for ~$60 on eBay easily. In fact, that's what I did not long ago.

· カラム
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in NZ. That's the problem. And I'm too lazy to get a credit card. lol.

· band
5,270 Posts
wow. if i lived in new zealand i wudnt even want to have a powerful computer...id prolly be trekking all over the place in my spare time O__o.

i toowould recommend a 6600gt over the dustblower (5800ultra) anyday. it was worse than the 9700pro (9700p<9800p<6600gt), was loud, took up 2 slots (tho some models had one slot coolers..dunno which one ur gettin) and was even admitted as a mistake by nvidia themselves >.>

· カラム
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@D.D: The used 5800 Ultra doesn't have stock cooling on it.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
fireblaster_lyz said:
I think you gotta increase your buget options.
Your *com* is really out.

512MB RAM isn't enough. Multiply that by 4 times.
Get 250GB SATA HDDs. They are cheap enough.
Get a Althon64.

Your computer wouldn't last for 2 years. :/

(Not meant as a insult, but its really worn down.)
Judging from what he spend on his system and what he wants to do with it 512MB Ram should be enough. I'm running on 512 as well and everythign is working fine. And no, I don't run any new games or very demanding applications. 1024 is always better, but 2048 would be overkill, he'd better spend that money elsewhere imo.

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Judging from what he spend on his system and what he wants to do with it 512MB Ram should be enough. I'm running on 512 as well and everythign is working fine. And no, I don't run any new games or very demanding applications. 1024 is always better, but 2048 would be overkill, he'd better spend that money elsewhere imo.
That is what everyone said abut 128mb! The truth is you can never have enough RAM (well, I think 3-6 GB is the most winXP can use.)

For my computer needs 1GB is barely enough. But I’m still waiting to upgrade.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Sure, like I already said, it's nice to have more, but seeing he's got an Athlon XP2800+ and is not planning to buy any high-end videocard, he doesn't seem like the demanding kind of user. That's why I said 2048 would be overkill. In the end it's him who has to decide on what he wants to spend his money, but for the extra 1024 ram I'd spend that money either on a faster processor, or invest it in getting a faster videocard. It's all about priority, and how demanding you are :)

· カラム
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright, I will stay away from the 5800 Ultra. I'm not planning on getting a big video card BECAUSE the prices on gpu cards are WAYY to expensive. The GeForce FX is still over 100$ :(.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.