Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed VBA on my linux system. Installation seems to be success but when I executed its binary no window appear and when i executed in in console, it gives another command like:
VisualBoyAdvance version 1.7.2 [SDL]
Searching for file VisualBoyAdvance.cfg
Searching current directory: /usr/local/bin
Searching home directory: /home/oryxz
Searching system config directory: /usr/local/etc
Reading configuration file.
Missing image name
/usr/local/bin/VisualBoyAdvance [option ...] file

Options:
-1, --video-1x 1x
-2, --video-2x 2x
-3, --video-3x 3x
-4, --video-4x 4x
-F, --fullscreen Full screen
-G, --gdb=PROTOCOL GNU Remote Stub mode:
tcp - use TCP at port 55555
tcp:pORT - use TCP at port PORT
pipe - use pipe transport
-N, --no-debug Don't parse debug information
-S, --flash-size=SIZE Set the Flash size
--flash-64k 0 - 64K Flash
--flash-128k 1 - 128K Flash
-T, --throttle=THROTTLE Set the desired throttle (5...1000)
-Y, --yuv=TYPE Use YUV overlay for drawing:
0 - YV12
Was linux VBA have no GUI?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Just like Windows, VisualboyAdvance has both a GUI and CLI SDL interface.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I believe the GUI uses GTK+....so you need that installed, as well as (re)compiling the VBA sources using the -gtk flag

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the installation notes it said two types of interfaces which is SDL and GTK. The default is SDL interfaces. I've installed SDL but there no GUI.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
orysyz said:
In the installation notes it said two types of interfaces which is SDL and GTK. The default is SDL interfaces. I've installed SDL but there no GUI.
SDL version uses the command-line.....GTK uses the GUI with all the buttons, drop-down lists, ect.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SDL version uses the command-line.....GTK uses the GUI with all the buttons, drop-down lists, ect.
Man, i need to install lot of file then since gtkmm requires lot of depencies.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
orysyz said:
Man, i need to install lot of file then since gtkmm requires lot of depencies.
Use your distro's package management system to install the dependencies. And make sure to install the dev packages if building from source.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that scottic. Anyway you are using Ubuntu linux. How that distro? Does it better than Mandrake?

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
orysyz said:
Thanks for that scottic. Anyway you are using Ubuntu linux. How that distro? Does it better than Mandrake?
Ubuntu has been getting alot of great reviews. It's not every day you see a Debian distro that is easy to install. Might switch myself.....I don't have as much time now to mantain my Gentoo installation

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Kirby said:
Ubuntu has been getting alot of great reviews. It's not every day you see a Debian distro that is easy to install. Might switch myself.....I don't have as much time now to mantain my Gentoo installation
And it actually has up to date software. Having said that, I am switching to Arch Linux when I can be bothered installing.

Though Ubuntu is a great distro for both experienced and new users. Apt/Dpkg does an excellent job of resolving and installing dependencies, and Ubuntu's repositories are fairly sizeable. As Kirby mentioned, installation is pretty easy. And you'll be left with only the applications that you'll need (i.e. doesn't install three different web browsers). Anything else you need, you'll likely find it in the package repositories.

Also, the name is scottLc. A surprisingly large number of people mix that up. :p

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im goin to switch distro. Aiming fot distro which only has kde for desktop environment.
Kubuntu is the right choice i think.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm running Fedora Core 3 atm, and I downloaded Ubuntu 5.04 not long ago. I've tried a live cd once (4.10 preview), and it bothered me that I couldn't use the su command, only sudo. is that the case in 5.04 too? I want to switch to ubuntu, but this bothers me >_>

[Edit] sorry, going off-topic :p

[Edit2] btw, doesn't this thread belong in the VBA forum?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
SnakeBite said:
I'm running Fedora Core 3 atm, and I downloaded Ubuntu 5.04 not long ago. I've tried a live cd once (4.10 preview), and it bothered me that I couldn't use the su command, only sudo. is that the case in 5.04 too? I want to switch to ubuntu, but this bothers me >_>

[Edit] sorry, going off-topic :p

[Edit2] btw, doesn't this thread belong in the VBA forum?
Actually, you can use su if you want.

sudo passwd root

1 - 13 of 13 Posts