Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love visual boy advance, but i find that it severely hogs my resources (p3 933mhz, 512mb ram, Win Me). WHY? I have no problems running a SNEs or PS1 emulator which you'd think would take more resources? Is this just an initial thing that wil be improved in time?

What games is everyone playing so far anywyas.

I've only found Advance Wars to keep my attention and maybe Dodgeball.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my poor Celeron 400 Mhz, 128 Mb RAM VisualBoy Advance works very well.
Mr. Driller runs fast and the sound is pretty good, but Circle of the Moon and Super Mario Advance gave me some speed trouble.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
i have a 450 P3 and sound is great ! To bad that ePSXe with new card is bad ! But Pj64 Works now perfectly

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm tried DreamGBA (had trouble getting it started, confusing), BoyCottAdvance (DOS - need i say more) and VisualBoyAdvance, out of the three i've found visualboy to be the best with its ease of use compatibilitty with all GB roms, configurabilty (Video Filters from the snes9x, Gamepad Support) Its already a great emu and will only get better.

The filters are awesome, they do slow thigs down quite a bit, but i'm thinking that it will be improved in the future.

S

·
0 Posts
visualboy advance is one odd emu:
I can't run it full speed with full-framerate
but when I choose frameskip one I can run it fullspeed, 640x480 fullscreen, stretched and super 2xsai

that's a p3 800 with geforce2mx

and I didn't even notice that one frame, so just set it to frameskip 1 and enjoy :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a similar system and was perplexed by the slowness of some games, i tried the frameskip like you said and wow!! it really does speed things up, and i haven't noticed a bit of difference with frames.

good call!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tried Boycott Advance, DreamGBA, MVM (or something like that), iGBA (too bad!), VGBA (trial only, without sound emulation) and naturally Visualboy Advance that I consider actually the best on the net.

·
ItsNotMe
164 Posts
VisualBoy Advance is definately the best for GameBoy Advance. As for DreamGBA, i can't even get it to start on my PC.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Originally posted by d33d
I'm tried DreamGBA (had trouble getting it started, confusing), BoyCottAdvance (DOS - need i say more) and VisualBoyAdvance, out of the three i've found visualboy to be the best with its ease of use compatibilitty with all GB roms, configurabilty (Video Filters from the snes9x, Gamepad Support) Its already a great emu and will only get better.

The filters are awesome, they do slow thigs down quite a bit, but i'm thinking that it will be improved in the future.
Wtf? Boycott Advance for DOS? Ehm, no. Check our GBA ranking page for an overview of the best GBA emulatours out there.

As for The "oddness" of VisualBoyAdvance: it's quite natural really. Lots of emulators run slower in say, a 320x240 window while you're @ 1280x1024, while it runs faster in 'pure' 6480x480 because it doesn't need to resize everything.
In fullscreen I barely notice any slowdown with the filters, and that's on a Celly [email protected] and a G400 vanilla. The filters make lots of games look great, and there's nearly no reason for me to run VBA in window mode (aside from the fact my monitor sometimes gives a high noise at any other res than 1280x960 :/). It's just like playing SNES games :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by Neojag
*snif* on my celeron 466 the sound is really shitty, but i have no doubt this IS the best GBA emu...
Guys try to play with the setting a little;
-go to "options", then "emulator" and click on "synchronize"
-or go to "frameskip", and make it 0
-or check out "priority" and check normal

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
yah, ive played with the options for quite a whyle, but its still shitty ;) aw, F**k that, ill be gettin a new PC soon :D but thkx anyway :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
vba is the best because of realtime save and cheat search. all gba games work great. but some games can be slow for most people( tony hawk 2)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EWPS<

I apologize for saying Boycott advance was DOS, i just downloaded it from NGemu (last time i got NGemu was down so I mus have got an older version or not the right thing at all). I love reliable sites. Whatever I tried that I thought was boycott advance you had to use in a dos window with switches to enable sound, video and input options.

Oh well thanks for setting em straight. :)

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
So, can anybody tell me, which is the fastest emulatro?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts