Next Generation Emulation banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Nice work as always guys..very nice :D

Ye, turning the DSP on on this system, it runs very slow and jerky (usual audio choppy as mentioned before) turn it to the original DSP and it runs much smoother, audio is just as choppy but it runs at normal speed, ie. not slowing down when it chops.

If I turn the DSP off, the ROMs run super smooth if a little fast (to be expected). I suppose if I actually posted my system specs it might shed a little light on the subject:

CPU Intel Core2duo E6750 (2.66GHz), 3GB DDR2 Corsair Value RAM, GeForce 8800GT 512MB, onboard Realtek ACL888 and a complete continent as storage space ( I do video work, not much but some, so need all the space I can get), MOBO is Gigabyte P35-D3SL.

Should give you some idea of how good VJ runs on systems other than your own, may help, ya never know.

Shamus, does the VM you're running support 3D under Linux? Can't seem to find one that does for Win32, so couldn't run VJ or build it even in my Fedora install within VMWare, or the Mac OS X install in a VMware machine either. Though to be fair, I had no idea how to even start building it under the MacOS, never seen it before so was just having a play :D

I'm using VirtualBox and it really rocks. I haven't run any OpenGL stuff on it, but I don't see anything in the documentation that specifically says "this will not work" like it does for VMWare.

At any rate, I would expect the pipelined DSP to perform poorly since it's an unoptimized reference implementation. I'm a little surprised that the audio is choppy; I'll have to take a closer look at the DAC code to see what's wrong there.

An other problem could be the SDL audio code itself. I'll take a look at this and perhaps this could resolve the choppy audio. I encountered the same problem with Handy/SDL where the Audiobuffer was not allways full or oversize and still pushed entirely to the Audio device.

I also need to redo the audio buffering scheme, as there's something odd going on with the DAC, i.e., some games seem to be writing to only one channel. It's been in need of an overhaul for some time now. :)

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Right, been away for a few days for work. Got back and thought I'd try and do a build of Vj again jsut to see if it compiles on here.

I can build it in my XP Virtual machine, build Libcdio as well! But, not in the Vista host enviroment! I think something important is not being allowed to happen on this vista install. SDL apps don't seem to compile at all, with the same libs I use in the XP enviroment. I think my vista may be even more broke than "normal" Vista..hehe

Nvm though, I'll build it in an XP VM and run it in Vista, seems to work :D

Discussion starter · #47 ·
It don't work anymore........

And quite frankly, stuff Mingw32, libiconv will not compile anymore. Been trying to get the bugger to work and compile in vista as that is my native OS. everything except iconv and cdio compiles.........ie. zlib, SDL-1.2.13. But nothing else will.......almost feel like giving up on it. I have asked through google "libiconv not compiling under mingw32" all the answers are useless, same with libcdio.

Any ideas Niels? As I know you have it compiling in Vista. I have the TDM mingw32 release and the updated GCC, and the latest iconv and cdio libs I could find (1.11 & 0.81 respectively) but no joy:(

Cheers for your help so far though guys, now if only I could get past this last step :D

Yeah, I'm Make the New SVN 296.

MingW and MSYS, but, have due some fixes on the lib libcdio.
The atual version can compile, but some fixes after and Yeah.

But the EXE is bigger, 2MB and the original has 2xx K's.

No problem, normal execute.

Show.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Are the folks that write the libiconv just ignoring the fact that most of the world out there using computers actually run windows?

I have just downloaded the latest libiconv and still it will not compile. Without it, libcdio will not compile. Is there not a simple fix they can add to it do you recon? I know a few of you guys have tweaked it to make it compile, but the thing is that I have no idea where the hell to start with it otherwise I would do it myself then post it back to them for testing.

Sorry if I sound like I am having a gripe about it, but I am :p

Sorry mate, I really wish I could help you but I can't even get it to work under XP. :p I'm sure one of the guys who has been successful with this will lend you a hand, though. :)

And I'm sure the iconv guys made sure it ran on win32--as long as it was under cygwin. :p :p :p It's really the MinGW guys who dropped the ball on this one.

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Funny thing is, I have tried to compile it in Linux, Fedora core 10.3 to be exact. Iconv compiles, but libcdio won't :( I'll keep having a dig at this though, as it's got more chance of success than Win32 version ....lol

Hmm, I'm on Gentoo here and had no problems with it--is the dev package for libcdio 0.80? If not, you might want to bug the Fedora guys to package it for you (or try the good ol' time honored method of unpacking the libcdio tarball, configure/make/make install sequence). :)

I'm see on the new source, many codes on the libcdio, what have fixes. I'm due and can make, but before due fix, can't compile.
I'm Zip my mingw for him, with the source and libs, if you need, say where you want that I send. No problems.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.