Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This worm arrives as an email message with the following content:

Subject: The subject of the email will be random, and could be the same as the file name of the attachment in the email.
Attachment: The attachment will be a file taken from the sender's computer and will have the extension .bat, .com, .lnk or .pif added to it.
Message: The message body will be semi-random, but will always contain one of the following two lines (either English or Spanish) as the first and last sentences of the message.

Spanish Version:
First line: Hola como estas ?
Last line: Nos vemos pronto, gracias.

English Version:
First line: Hi! How are you?
Last line: See you later. Thanks

Between these two sentences, some of the following text may appear:

Spanish Version:
Te mando este archivo para que me des tu punto de vista
Espero me puedas ayudar con el archivo que te mando
Espero te guste este archivo que te mando
Este es el archivo con la informaci=n que me pediste

English Version:
I send you this file in order to have your advice
I hope you can help me with this file that I send
I hope you like the file that I sendo you
This is the file with the information that you ask for

Click here for more information
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
The *neat* (or maybe not-so-neat) thing is that, if you open the attachment (while making sure that you're NOT invoking the worm), you'll get some interesting stuff..... so far I've received 2 resumes and a short paper on Harry Potter.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
:smash:

I haven't received this virus, but I am still affected indirectly: my local @Home mail server has been super slow for the last day or so. NOW I know why :shout:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've gotten it 4 times already, weird thing is it's from people I've never heard of. I thought it was supposed to come from those that have you in their address book? Why would these people I've never heard of have me in their address book?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by Eluder
I've gotten it 4 times already, weird thing is it's from people I've never heard of. I thought it was supposed to come from those that have you in their address book? Why would these people I've never heard of have me in their address book?
Well, here's another quote, taken from http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5094539,00.html:

Perry noted that while most viruses appear to come from someone the recipient knows, this one can also come from strangers because it uses both address books and information stored in the Web browser's cache files to search for e-mail addresses.

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
I also received this email, but I deleted it right away. Also, like takwu, my @home mail server is really slow. Sometimes, when I go to send an email It won't even connect to the server! After 2 or 3 tries it works, but for a message that is about 2 KB, it takes a little bit under a minute to send it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
But I still don't understand, why would my email addy be in a stranger's web browser cache? I mean I've never published my email address, I still find this strange, not a big deal as I haven't been infected or anything, but I'd like to know how I got it... :)

Originally posted by kairi00

Well, here's another quote, taken from http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5094539,00.html:

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I just spend most of last night cleaning it out of my mates computers. One of them caught it. Unfortunately he has over 200 ppl in his address book.

Side note. I never use an electronic address book. This is so that if I accidently catch one I don't spend the fecking thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't use address books stored on my HD. I store all me email addy's in my Yahoo mail account. If I catch a virus, it can't spread into that address book...

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
My friends was a hotmail address book. So I seriously doubt that having a web based one matters... especially on the most popular systems.

B

·
0 Posts
5 times ... you guys have problems ... my ~ counter is going somewhere around 140 now, I already spent hours downloading my mails just to notice that it's a stupid &!"§& virus

C

·
0 Posts
Mine's at about 50 or so, gets annoying because I keep thinking it's important stuff :)

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
One point. When the 'I love you' virus appeared most email companies but a block which automatically deleted all the emails with that header. I know that there are a few variations on this one but my point is why the hell haven't they done the same this time?

K

·
0 Posts
Well they couldn't block the header because it always changes .. depends on what is in the infected persons my documents. It just titles the e-mail with the file name. I have received a ton of e-mails too ... just got one a few minutes ago actually. We will probably be seeing these mails for a long time. Some users might not even know they are effected .. which is the main reason it sticks around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts