Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on this. i have 512 mb of ddr2 ram on my computer i and just recently set my virtual ram to 10-12 gb on my computer. I have an extra 90 gb on my harddrive so i just thought i should use some of it as virtual ram. Is this a good idea? and will it harm/help my computer at all?
thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
Errr.. 10-12 Gb is an overkill. I read somewhere that a good rule of thumb is to set your virtual memory twice the size of your actual RAM. Virtual RAM isn't all its cranked up to be, because its not nearly as fast as your DDR2, you will feel major performance drop if your OS uses allot of virtual memory. With allot of virtual memory you will be able to multitask allot of applications but the performance is not going to be any good. If you really want to use virtual ram and you own more than one physical hard drive, you should fragment virtual ram across the different drives to increase the speed a little.

Also I read somewhere that a perfect computer wouldn't need hard drives, and that all the information would be stored on fast RAM. There isn't such thing as too mutch memory. Get some more :agree:

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks thats all im asking :) ill set it back down to 2gb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.