Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this thread actually belongs here... anyways, here goes.

When you install Linux/Solaris, you're usually asked to create a swap partition, and the recommended size is twice the amount of RAM that you have. My question is: why twice the size? What's the reasoning behind this magic number? What would happen if it's more/less than 2x the RAM you have?

If anyone can give me a detailed technical explanation on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

:D

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
I guess this rule came about when in the old days people only < 8 megs of RAM and OS's needed more memory to run. So it was a rule of thumb to use 2 or 2.5x times the available physical memory as the swapfile size [read this from somewhere]. But nowadays,
RAM is pretty cheap, and putting < 64 Megs on your PC is quite disturbing.., so the swapfile size only matters if your running lots of applications that take lots of ram at the same time..., but I guess old habits die hard, and people are still sticking to the 2x rule. Sorry I know the post isn't "technical" .... :D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah thanks for the answer. That partially answered it, though I still have this big question: why the number 2? They must've come up with it somehow.... oh well :)

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts