Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now if we can just get goldenegg to make a MacOSX binary, we'll be in good shape. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulations for the emulator.
I've found some bugs. I've choose the eeproms dir but the emulator still puts eep files on the program dir.
The soccer kid game doesn't boot while in project tempest boot up. The rom is rare and i've found it here because i'm not able to dump my cartidge.

Good work.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The eeproms dir probably needs a trailing slash on the end of the directory name. I knew I was forgetting something with that bit of code... :p

Soccer Kid doesn't work currently, thanks for pointing this out. :)

And this is not aimed at you in particular, this goes for everyone: If you're going to compare VJ to some other emulator, please don't bother posting such a comparison here as it does absolutely no good to compare VJ to something else. For example, DioJag does a great job of emulating Tempest 2000 at full speed with sound on recent model hardware, while VJ does not. But it's a meaningless comparison, since one is cheating like hell to gain speed for that one game, and the other is trying to be a general purpose emulator that can run anything written for the Jaguar. It's comparing apples to oranges.

The only valid comparison that we will listen to is if a new version of Virtual Jaguar breaks compatibility with an earlier version. This is comparing oranges to oranges.

:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Now eeproms saves in the correct dir. For the compatibility discussion, the mine woudn't be a critic, but an help to improve emulator. But if the other emulators, as you said, uses tricks and cheats to accomplish it, so i must agree with you. Better an accurate emulator than a tricky emulator.

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats on the release. I know I'm one of many who are waiting for speed improvements on this emulator once accuracy is worked out. Even if you think nobody is following your development, I bet a lot of people are keeping an eye on it. :D

Excellent job so far!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@zombie: No, not yet. :p

@DJoneK: Thanks for the kind words; we hope to be able to get things up to speed sooner than later. :thumb:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Congrats on the release. I know I'm one of many who are waiting for speed improvements on this emulator once accuracy is worked out. Even if you think nobody is following your development, I bet a lot of people are keeping an eye on it. :D

Excellent job so far!
Yup, we are all "keeping an eye on it" :D

Shamus is, as ever, doing outstanding work here and I am pleased that 2.0.0 (now 2.0.1!!!) has been released :D

Well done Shamus, the new developements are really exciting. It's great to see that you are getting ever closer to goal of "as close to hardware chip as you can get in software code" :D

Great work fella, keep it up :D:D:D

Wasn't sure about the QT front end at first ( I actually quite liked the old GUI) but now I'm used to it, I actually quite like it !

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am seeing minor performance improvements with the SVN Checkouts. The games generally run so far as I can see. The issues I currently have are with Command line based launching. Currently there is no way to bypass the QT launcher and start a game. Also sound is still grabled and bad. But it seems like some games are running full speed. Most are not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
By the way, are there any estimates on how long it might take to optimize this version of Virtual Jaguar so that the games all play at their proper speeds?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Optimization is fairly easy; just a matter of profiling to find the bottlenecks. Getting it to the place where it's accurate is much, much more difficult and is what takes most of the time. So the short answer is, it probably won't take that much time to optimize. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
What about WahCade integration?

What about WahCade integration? I still cannot launch a game from the Command line.

Generally WahCade integration requires:
* Being able to launch a game full screen from the Command line.
* Being able to exit the game using a button.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Launching software from the command line is on the list to be integrated. No ETA as of yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I am suitably impressed. I've always wanted to be able to play some of my favorite Jaguar games while travelling with my laptop. I just gave a few ROMs a try, and found that both Cybermorph and Atari Karts actually seem to run fine, which I haven't seen in other emus.

That's the good news. The bad news is that with my 1.9 GHz Dual-core, the games run at maybe 40-50% of full speed... :(

Oh well, maybe I have an excuse to go buy a faster machine...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, at this point there are basically two things keeping things from being speedy:

1, the DSP being in the same thread as everything else. Moving it to its own thread will definitely help multi-core users and
2, the blitter is still badly in need of optimization as it's still an almost direct translation of the asic nets. Once it's in a state where it's as accurate as it can get, then optimization will fix that.

I've said this before, and it probably bears repeating: Anything that makes heavy use of the blitter will be slow. At least until we're able to optimize it, and there's no ETA for that. We do this in our spare time, when we can. :thumb:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only thing I wish is, and I acknowledge it would be a complete ball ache, as I see the build numbers rising it would be nice to have the "WHATSNEW" text file updated so we (or is it just me?) could see what's changed.

Not that fussed about it and as I said I know it's a ball ache to keep up to date, would just be nice 'tis all :D

But, it is awfully good to see those build numbers rising so rapidly lately, let's me know that there is hope of being able to play my beloved Jag games at full speed one day, without shelling out for a new Jag....mine is in the attic awaiting a little bit of attention from the soldering iron and I just can't find which part needs it :(

1 - 20 of 47 Posts