Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a custom compaq sr1000z:
AMD sempron 3000+ (2.0ghz w/ 512kb cache), VIA KM400A chipset, 512 PC2700, 80gig 7200 HDD.

I'm shopping for a good videocard, I'm on a tight budget and really want to keep it below $130 or so. I've been looking at radeon 9600 pro and geforce 5700 (non ultra) type cards.

I play older games like diablo 2 and warcraft 3, I want to play doom 3, and I dabble in psx emulation. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, and I have an old gf2mx PCI card, I should be able to use this and get dual monitor support eh?

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
Whoever said:
I recently purchased a custom compaq sr1000z:
AMD sempron 3000+ (1.8ghz w/ 512kb cache), VIA KM400A chipset, 512 PC2700, 80gig 7200 HDD.

I'm shopping for a good videocard, I'm on a tight budget and really want to keep it below $130 or so. I've been looking at radeon 9600 pro and geforce 5700 (non ultra) type cards.

I play older games like diablo 2 and warcraft 3, I want to play doom 3, and I dabble in psx emulation. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, and I have an old gf2mx PCI card, I should be able to use this and get dual monitor support eh?
Go with the geforce 5700
do NOT buy an ATI card... thats my advice :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Dont listen to Bill_Gates, i never had problem with my Ati card. Both cards are good and go with the cheaper one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recommend the ati 9550 xt from gecube its a great card and is only 100. You also get some good bundled software i think. If u look at the card, The fan on it looks like the fan from a ati x800. If u check gecubes site i think they also have 9600xt with the same looking heatsink as a x800

·
band
4,912 Posts
I want to play doom 3, and I dabble in psx emulation
That sounds like u would wanna go with the 5700 (esp for psx emulation with pete's ogl2 plugin). The other two games u mentioned wud be fine on either card and i think most 5700s come with dual monitor support.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
BaLlInJaY said:
I recommend the ati 9550 xt from gecube its a great card and is only 100. You also get some good bundled software i think. If u look at the card, The fan on it looks like the fan from a ati x800. If u check gecubes site i think they also have 9600xt with the same looking heatsink as a x800
eww, no. the 9550 SUCKS. it has horribly low clock speeds (like 250mhz IIRC) and low memory bandwidth.

between the 5700 and the 9600, go with the 5700---especially for PSX emulation. then you can experience Pete's OGL2 plugin fully :)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Same here, I'd go for the 5700.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
If you really want to play Doom 3 and psx games, I suggest you scrounge up a few more dollars and get a 6600gt or the 6600 when they become available. You can also find some 6800 non ultra cards for about $250 online. So that would be another choice, but you'd need more money.

Last generation cards are going to get outdated fast especially now that the low/mid end next generation cards are as fast as they are.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
With game using the Doom3 engine (eg.Quake 4) an Nvidia card has the advantage but if you want to play most other games not based on the Doom3 engine like Half-Life2 ATI scores better

·
The Upcoming Rookie
620 Posts
If you are willing to pay more, I would definitely think about getting the Geforce 6600 series... however, I would wait until it is out, and read comprehensive reviews. As far as I know, it is not out yet.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This is an awful thread. You will never get a defiant answer from these guys. There are too many ati/Nvidia fanboys/haters on these boards and when you start a discussion the come out swinging. I say put the money in your pocket and run, run as far away from this thread as you can. And if you want the ATI then get it. Don't let anyone change your mind here.

It's just like the presidental election, their vote doesn't count.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Squigi63 said:
This is an awful thread. You will never get a defiant answer from these guys. There are too many ati/Nvidia fanboys/haters on these boards and when you start a discussion the come out swinging. I say put the money in your pocket and run, run as far away from this thread as you can. And if you want the ATI then get it. Don't let anyone change your mind here.

It's just like the presidental election, their vote doesn't count.
*Removed. Thanks.*

The guy asked what video card he shoud get, not shoud he buy one

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
D.D. said:
awww mannnn..i hate it when ppl say that...its not playing by the rules :( lol
FF8 has reccomended spending a bit more than I had originally wanted and to get a 6800. I don't regret it. I have it in my comp now (couldn't wait for the case to come in to build everything).

·
Registered
330 Posts
On the basis of results from the WWW.futuremark.com online results browser: the ATI 9600 card seems to be the better performer by far......

GeForcefx5700: best score - 3227
GeforceFx5700 ultra: best score - 4192
ATI 9600: - best score - 3506
ATI 9600XT - best score - 4917

(3DMARK 2003)

Hell, i never even owned a ATI card before - But I'm going to get one. That's forsure!

·
band
4,912 Posts
FF8 has reccomended spending a bit more than I had originally wanted and to get a 6800. I don't regret it. I have it in my comp now (couldn't wait for the case to come in to build everything).
hahahh i knoe i knoe (just a joke cuz this kinda thing happens everytime some asks about budget vid cards...), but hey, at least he cudda made some kinda suggestion as to which one of the two to get IN ADDITION to recommending wut he recommended.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
permethium said:
On the basis of results from the WWW.futuremark.com online results browser: the ATI 9600 card seems to be the better performer by far......

GeForcefx5700: best score - 3227
GeforceFx5700 ultra: best score - 4192
ATI 9600: - best score - 4593

(3DMARK 2003)AW
You sure that wasnt 9600 pro or 9600xt ?

Because From what I have heard 9600 performs as good as 5200 ultra. 9600 pro almost as good as 5700 and 9600 xt as good as 5700 ultra.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
D.D. said:
hahahh i knoe i knoe (just a joke cuz this kinda thing happens everytime some asks about budget vid cards...), but hey, at least he cudda made some kinda suggestion as to which one of the two to get IN ADDITION to recommending wut he recommended.
I didn't recommend them because I wouldn't recommend anyone to get those last generation cards. Both Nvidia and ATi are set to release $150 - $200 video cards in the near future that would utterly destroy and obsolete them. Anyone who buys those cards now are going to kick themselves in the nutts once the 6600/gt and x700/xt cards come out at near the same price levels in about a month.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Dont listen to deuches like Bill_gates. His unsupported fanboy bullsh!t is worthless.

The bottom Line:
9600pro-xt for a decent midrange card that _usually_ outperforms the 5700's in games like doom3 and counter-strike source (closest to hl2).

The 5700's are faster in older games where you dont see directx 9.

I think we will all agree for next gen cards you will want to look for a nvidia 6xxx card.

Overall after talking to people like wexp, and snake785 my 9600pro overclocked to 540/350 (slightly past XT speeds) beats their cards overclocked by about 20 2k3 3D, or an ultra overclocked will beat mine by 20 marks etc... Both are fair cards.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts