Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's two questions:

Who's your favorite video game composer?

What's your favorite piece from a video game?

I'm gonna go with the cliche here and say Nobuo Uematsu. It'd be difficult to pick my favorite piece though. I really like Frontier Village Dali and Vivi's theme; two pieces that don't get much recognition. Hunter's Chance is a good rocking piece.

Speaking of which, I really like Uematsu's band The Black Mages. They rock pretty hard. If you haven't listened to them I HIGHLY recommend them.

Outside of Final Fantasy music, Super Mario Bros. 2 theme is a good jazzy piece. Then there's the obvious ones like Tetris - A and B theme, Mario theme, Zelda, etc. However, one song that absolutely brings me to tears is from Terranigma - Port. YouTube - Terranigma - Port That has to be the most emotional version around. If you haven't checked him out already I highly recommend CalebElijah's channel. He has some great covers.

Well, I think that's enough talking for now ^_^ I could go on for days.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There are lot's of good composers out there, but my favorites 2 that are in first place is Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Nobuo Uematsu is mine, but I can't list a single piece. I'd honestly say 95% of the Final Fantasy IX soundtrack is tied for first piece for me. His best work was in that game (I think he even said his favorite/though of best work was done during that game or something).

To be less cliche, Frank Klepacki. He is the Command & Conquer series version of Nobuo Uematsu. Again, all of his work (or most of it) is just that good, so picking out a favorite isn't easy (but the obvious Hell March comes to mind as one of the most famous soundtracks in gaming history).

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Cool thread :)

I have a couple of favorites, obviously Uematsu for his great work on the Final Fantasy series, but I prefer to look further.

I'm a huge fan of Yuzo Koshiro's work on Shenmue, Wave of the Morning Fog (Morning Fog's Wave) is beautiful, his arrangements on the Shenmue OSTs are some of the most complex and beautiful videogame songs ever.

There's also some great composers in the western world. Jeremy Soule did a great job on a lot of games, but Richard Jacques I think is really a class apart. The game Headhunter (Dreamcast and PS2) really deserved more recognition for this alone. He also had a part in Jet Set Radio, Mass Effect and Metropolis Street Racer.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Hmm... well mine would be Yuki Kajiura/Fiction Junction, Yasunori Mitsuda, Dennis Martin, i will refrain from saying Nobuo Uematsu for the folowing reason: i found his music to be to similar with some classics (and when i say classics i mean it Bach/Porumbescu/Mozzart etc.) or other music, an example could be eyes on me it shares quite resemblance in the rhythm with Diana Ross - WHEN YOU TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME (you will see from around 1:20 that the pattern is similar):

As for favorite game music well it would be:

Legend of Dragoon If you still believe:

Final Fantasy VIII - eyes on me

Xenogears - Small Two pieces

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nobuo Uematsu is mine, but I can't list a single piece. I'd honestly say 95% of the Final Fantasy IX soundtrack is tied for first piece for me. His best work was in that game (I think he even said his favorite/though of best work was done during that game or something).

To be less cliche, Frank Klepacki. He is the Command & Conquer series version of Nobuo Uematsu. Again, all of his work (or most of it) is just that good, so picking out a favorite isn't easy (but the obvious Hell March comes to mind as one of the most famous soundtracks in gaming history).
I'm so glad that someone agrees with me that FFIX was/is the best. Everyone I've ever come into contact with has told me that FFIX was their least favorite. They also proceeded to tell me that FFVII was their favorite, something I find a bit ironic, considering it seems to be everyone's favorite /:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
With the exception of Mr.Uematsu, I think there's more musical talent in North America.
Here's some of my fav's.

Cristopher Tin (Before someone points this out, yes this song has religious content and yes I'm still an athiest. It's a kickin song regardless of the message)

Harry Gregson Williams

Greg Edmonson

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Jeremy Soule has done some fantastic work. I loved the score he did for Secret of Evermore. Mr. Uematsu also did some great work for Blue Dragon, some of which I don't mind so much.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
I'd have to say Yuzo Koshiro, Michiru Yamane, Shigeki Hayashi and Yoko Shimomura(if you think Legend of Mana's soundtrack is bad, then I might need to beat you over the head with a pipe. Seriously, though, listen to it).

Tomohito Nishiura(of Professor Layton's fame), Yasunori Mitsuda and Motoi Sakuraba get a worthy mention, though most of Motoi's work sounds quite similar. I loved the soundtrack of Tales of Phantasia, Tales of the Abyss, Golden Sun and Valkyrie Profile, though.

(I like Uematsu too, but I thought I'd list the ones that are not as known outside of Japan first)

·
Registered MSX user
1,625 Posts
I'm so glad that someone agrees with me that FFIX was/is the best. Everyone I've ever come into contact with has told me that FFIX was their least favorite. They also proceeded to tell me that FFVII was their favorite, something I find a bit ironic, considering it seems to be everyone's favorite /:
I'm glad that you two agrees with me that FFIX was/is the best. That soundtrack is brilliant in many ways. Maybe all don't like it that much, because Mr. Uematsu's goal was to compose it totally for traditional instruments, but by his own words, he failed. But that wasn't bad at all. It's a very colourful soundtrack as a whole. Mr. Uematsu is my favourite video game music composer and I have liked all his works I've listened. Just finished FFVIII OST, which is very good.

Hard to mention specially any pieces from FFIX OST/OST+, because they are so good in overall, like Lord Zedeck mentioned. From Japanese video game composers, I'll also mention Junya Nakano and Masashi Hamauzu (FFX). Specially the songs "Summoned Beast Battle" and "Decisive Battle" were very positive surprises from them.

Cristopher Tin (Before someone points this out, yes this song has religious content and yes I'm still an athiest. It's a kickin song regardless of the message)
We certainly need to point out more composers outside Japan and you mentioned something I would have mentioned too. Glad you were first, because I don't have time to create YouTube links.

Let's see what comes in my mind right now... Michael Giacchino did great music for Medal of Honor -series.

Adam Skorupa and Paweł Błaszczak made a very good soundtrack for The Witcher.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Probably Alph Lyla (Capcom - Mega Man, SF games) and Sega AM2's team. David Wise of Rare is also absolutely wonderful. Aside from that there are so many fantastic video game music composers, it's not really fair to single them out.

My favorite piece ever is a big toss up, but I'm leaning towards "Forest Interlude" from Donkey Kong Country 2.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the Uprising 2 sound track is epic :D

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Does the brutal legend soundtrack count in this :)

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Video game music? Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, and whoever did the music for Legend of Mana. Melodies of life got stuck in my head for quite a while, as did Small two of Pieces, and Song of Mana.
Here.

...and Yoko Shimomura(if you think Legend of Mana's soundtrack is bad, then I might need to beat you over the head with a pipe. Seriously, though, listen to it)...

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Martin O'Donnell certainly did a kickass job with Halo and upped the ante with ODST. The only letdown was the **** rock in Halo 2, but apart from that his tunes are very very nice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.