Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a retro gaming rig out of some old spare parts. I've got everything I need, but I have some descisions to make.

Firstly, this box is Linux-based so I need help picking a gamepad.It must be Linux-compatible with two thumbsticks. I saw some cheapo generics at CompUSA which I might get but I wanted something decent if I can get it.

I plan on spending no more than $50 on the pad(s).

Next thing is the video card. I have either a Voodoo3 3000 w/16mb or a GeForce 2 TI w/64mb ram

The only reason I'm considering the Voodoo3 is that I know that Glide is REALLY good for picture qulity in emulators and that (plus some video/DVD playback) is all I'm using this box for.

Here are the systems I plsn on emulating and my Emulator of choice for each

(remeber, I'm building a Linux-based box here)
NES - RockNES
SNES - ZSNES
PSX - ePSXe (w/ Pete's MesaGL plugin)
N64 - Mupen64 (maybe)
Sega Genesis/CD/32X - Gens (again maybe)

Edit: Yes, this will be hooking up to a TV

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
Archlyn said:
I'm building a retro gaming rig out of some old spare parts. I've got everything I need, but I have some descisions to make.

Firstly, this box is Linux-based so I need help picking a gamepad.It must be Linux-compatible with two thumbsticks. I saw some cheapo generics at CompUSA which I might get but I wanted something decent if I can get it.

I plan on spending no more than $50 on the pad(s).

Next thing is the video card. I have either a Voodoo3 3000 w/16mb or a GeForce 2 TI w/64mb ram

The only reason I'm considering the Voodoo3 is that I know that Glide is REALLY good for picture qulity in emulators and that (plus some video/DVD playback) is all I'm using this box for.

Here are the systems I plsn on emulating and my Emulator of choice for each

(remeber, I'm building a Linux-based box here)
NES - RockNES
SNES - ZSNES
PSX - ePSXe (w/ Pete's MesaGL plugin)
N64 - Mupen64 (maybe)
Sega Genesis/CD/32X - Gens (again maybe)

Edit: Yes, this will be hooking up to a TV
i would suggest the Saitek P880, and the logitech rumbleman these was the 2 i recommand. there was another one but i dont remember it. one is both should be 20 bucks, i know the Saitek p880 is 20 bucks.

i would suggest you use ur GF2TI since ur using linux. since nvidia linux drivers are great.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much for the reccomendation of the gamepad man, that thing looks beautiful! :drool:

I'll probably stick with the GF2. the more I think about it, the more sense it makes NOT to use the Voodoo3

Thanks again man, I appriciate it!

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Considering what it's going to be used for, a GF2 is more than enough. Heck, I've done PSX and N64 emulation with a Vanta LT card, which is much slower than a GF2.

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
Since he gonna just be running emulators a GF2 is enough as long it not a GF2mx and a GF2TI. he not gonna need a GF4TI or a 9600XT just to run emulators.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GeneralClaymore said:
Since he gonna just be running emulators a GF2 is enough as long it not a GF2mx and a GF2TI. he not gonna need a GF4TI or a 9600XT just to run emulators.
What's wrong with a GF2TI? That's exactly the card I have. What better model of GF2 is there?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
IIRC: 2MX < 2 < 2Ti < 2 Ultra.
I think the 4MX is, while crippled next to next gen cards, faster than the 2 Ultra.
A gf2MX is adequete for ePSXe if you configure it up right and shift some effects onto the CPU

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
Archlyn said:
What's wrong with a GF2TI? That's exactly the card I have. What better model of GF2 is there?
i said Aslong its a GF2TI and not a GF2mx. GF2mx is slower then the GF2TI .
The 64bit GF4mx are some where under the GF2TI. while the 128bit memory bus GF4mx like the GF4mx440-8x 128bit is faster then the GF2TI while the 64bit mem bus ver of the GF4mx isnt.

so its more like GF2mx < GF4mx 64bit< GF2Ti < GF4mx 128bit <GF2 ultra

1 - 9 of 9 Posts