Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i have a "ATI radeon 9000 pro 128mb" made by ATI, in my PC. The last time i had something close to an nvidia technology was my old Voodoo 5500 64mb PCI. I went out and bought Geforce 5200 FX 128mb for a cheap price. I tested both cards and one does bether in PC games and the other in console emulation. my ati is clocked at 275/275 while my nvidia is at 250/400. My reason for buying nvidia is cause it has DX 9, 8x apg support and my ati has DX 8.1, 4x apg. Which one should i keep ? Is there a huge difference between 4x apg and 8x apg ?

:guitar: :eyemove:

My pc spec's :
p4 1.6
512mb ram (rambus)
80 gig HD
cdrw
dvdrw + -

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I'd reckon that those two would be about on a par performance wise, as the 9000 is a castrated 8500. The 8500 was roughly equal to my old GF3, which was faster than the 5200. 8xAGP makes essentialy no difference and the 5200'x DX9 power is basicaly useless due to its castrated nature.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i ran the program "GL Excess" to benchmark them. My ati gets 7900-8000 pts, while the nvidia gets 5000-5100 pts. Do the drivers play a huge factor too ?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
If they are on par, performance wise, then the nVidia card should dominate OpenGL. You should definately update those drivers.

·
Registered
330 Posts
yea, get the nvidia forceware drivers. They could help your speed situation with the GF FX. I am an nvidia loyalist (or smnt), so you know what card Im going to tell you to keep :p You could also try overclocking the GF as well, something i would do (if my PC let me..).
If you install the forceware drivers, make sure you get rid of that stupid nvidia tray thinger.. nview I think its called. its just pointless, and wastes precious CPU cycles in running it. If you want to over clock it, poke around www.voodoofiles.com ..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did install the latest drivers for each one. ati had CATALYST 4.10, and i have nvidia's 61.77. I found the forceware drivers i'll try them out and replay when i've done another test.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forget it, it got an even lower score 4980. Im going back to my ati video card, i'll just return this p.o.s Geforce card. i'll just stick to ati technology.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
It's probably the 64-bit version or something. Regardless it's a real budget card. Fortunately it appears nVidia won't be making quite as crap a card for thier budget soloution this time round.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts