Next Generation Emulation banner

VGS Problem

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  psicomaniaco 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am facing problems playing VGS on my Win XP. I have applied XP Patch & P-IV Patch as well, but the VGS.exe keeps on saying "A Pentium-II Class Processor is required to Play" :(

Please help me out. Also there is no Thakfx.dat file in my temp folder because VGS is not run on my system even once.

I got AMD 64 2800+ and Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.

HELP !!!!!!

#4 ·
I'm not sure if an AMD64 is compatible, but let's try it....

Ok, first, get this patch:
http://www.aldostools.com/vgshighres.html
That's all you need; it's an all-in-one patch, put it in your vgs dir.

Now you have to run regular VGS first; it will give some error that it should be run under windows 98; however, at the same time it will create the tnxfs temporary file. After that, run the patch to launch it.
Don't use windows xp's compatibility settings; they're not needed.

Try using some of the settings. I just use the XP compatibility one myself, but I dont have an AMD64 processor.

#6 ·
ok, well the filename is tnkXfs.dat. I misspelled it before.
Second, it creates it in <OS DRIVE>:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Temp\
Where <OS DRIVE> is usually C and <User Name> is your name or whoever has the account on that computer. If you can't see it, maybe you don't have "show hidden files and folders" in winxp turned on. Regardless, once you've run VGS once, and it has given the Windows compatibility error, you should be able to run the XP patch from the VGS dir after that.
You shouldn't have to do anything else.

#8 ·
Well, just for the sake of being complete...
ok, so first you have installed VGS.

Go to the VGS directory.
If you now, try to run Connectix VGS.exe , it should give an error that it only runs with windows 95,98 and ME. (if it doesnt, check the compatibility settings and make sure they're turned OFF, then run it again so it will give that particular error message - that's just to be safe).
Now it has created a temp file somewhere. doesnt really matter WHERE it is.
Copy the all-in-one patch to the VGS dir. Run it. Turn on the settings you'd like to try (at least the WinXP compatibility one is needed) and then run it.
Doesn't work? try the P4 compatibility fix as well. Still doesn't work? then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

#14 ·
Use ePSXe or PSXeven with Pete's Latest Plugins and you'll be fine. The 9600 is perfect. ;)

r2rX :D

#15 ·
You should find in one of the patches at aldostools the file "CVGSRUN.exe"

Drop the cvgs file onto this and the program should run. This is very handy if like me you have patched CVGS to run Final Fantasy 9 and it no longer creates the tnkXfs.dat.

On a side note, how come everytime someone asks a question about CVGS, all I see are posts praising ePSXe?

By all means recommend that he check it out but at least try to solve the question the person asked in the first place as well.

#16 ·
indeed. and some people don't feel the need for the cranked up gfx (a matter of personal preferences; allthough with PEOPS epsxe and psxeven will look just like vgs).

However, he could try what you suggested DB7, but it seems vgs just isnt going to work with amd64 processors :/

#18 ·
I use PSXeven, ePSXe and VGS... all 3 of them have their strengths. I personally have slightly better results with PSXeven than with ePSXe (compatibility), which was a pleasant surprise, and I use VGS because in some cases it's still preferrable. Because it's completely different from ePSXe and PSXeven and those other psemu-based emus it does some things that the others don't.

#19 ·
Samor said:
I use PSXeven, ePSXe and VGS... all 3 of them have their strengths. I personally have slightly better results with PSXeven than with ePSXe (compatibility), which was a pleasant surprise, and I use VGS because in some cases it's still preferrable. Because it's completely different from ePSXe and PSXeven and those other psemu-based emus it does some things that the others don't.

I agree with Samor! The best thing is use all three of them! The one I use the most nowdays is PSXeven though!!
I still use VGS for some games, specially 2d ones (the graphics are not that bad if you have a GeForce card, because of the full screen smooth, wich VGS uses). Also, I use VGS on my wife's computer, when I can't use my own for some reason (my wife's computer is a Pentium 3 550 with a Onboard card! Impossible to get a good speed with EPSXE or PSXeven).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.