Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In limbo
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We all know VGS is *dead*. Damn corporate strategy bullsh1t(Sony).:mg: When it was released, I wasn't too excited at all coz I heard that the graphics won't be enhanced. But when I got my copy, boy was I proven wrong. I was into ALUNDRA back then and BOF3. ALUNDRA didn't work with bleem! back then. But the moment I popped in the CD and clicked Connectix VGS.exe, I was blown away. Sound synchronization, the controls, was more or less, perfect.

Anyways, if Sony hadn't bought out VGS, do you think they were gonna do VGS2 anytime soon? I mean, their programmers are some of the best in PSX emulation.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If by VGS2 you mean PSX2 emulator... not a chance ;)
If by that you mean 3D hardware accel. support.... not likely either.... I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that Connectix wasn't even interested in developing a 3D enhancement... their primary focus was on compatibility.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
If 99.9% compatibility was their main goal, then i could see why Sony desperately wanted it out of the market.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
In Retrospect vgs was and still is very very good psx emulator. Connectix had no plans for 3d enhancements and thats why they stopped further development.Compatibility was the best thing in cvgs and still many new and upcoming games run perfectly in cvgs.

So overall the product was great but all good things die out some time or other.

·
In limbo
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by kairi00
If by VGS2 you mean PSX2 emulator... not a chance ;)
If by that you mean 3D hardware accel. support.... not likely either.... I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that Connectix wasn't even interested in developing a 3D enhancement... their primary focus was on compatibility.
Why not(PS2 emu)? Today's hardware can't cut it? Well, if you think about it, if they ever did do a VGS2, it would have been [email protected]!;)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by BaD_BURN

Why not(PS2 emu)? Today's hardware can't cut it? Well, if you think about it, if they ever did do a VGS2, it would have been [email protected]!;)
You got it... it's impossible to emulate PS2 at a reasonable speed with current PC hardware. And well, let's just say if there is ever going to be a VGS2, it won't come out until I have 3 children, and the oldest one is in 3rd year university :)

S

·
0 Posts
Connectix's main aim w/VGS was, indeed, compatability. They wanted VGS to be able to play as many PSX games as acurately as possible. They succeeded at this so well, that Sony decided to remove the threat, after having lost repeatedly in court, by buy ing VGS and dscontinuing it. VGS was/still is a great emulator and if you want a "virtual" PSX in your PC, then it is the one to go for. To bad Sony did what they did, but I guess it is a case of "If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em out and kill em."
sincerely,
sx/amiga

1 - 7 of 7 Posts