Next Generation Emulation banner
301 - 320 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Hello, All!

I have released VGBAnext 6.4.3, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

VGBAnext - Universal Console Emulator - Apps on Google Play

This release adds support for NES mappers #30 and #111, used by a lot of newer homebrewn cartridges. I have also fixed compatibility with Android 4.2, adding home screen shortcuts, opening files from other apps, and a few possible crash sources. Finally, rounded corners on legacy icons, for a better look.

As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats though by downloading this file to your Downloads folder:

http://fms.komkon.org/EmuAndroid/VGBAnext-Cheats.zip

ALL CHANGES:
  • Added NES mapper #30 for homebrewn 512kB/256kB UNROM boards.
  • Added NES mapper #111 for homebrewn Cheapocabra GTROM boards.
  • Fixed compatibility with Android 4.2/4.3.
  • Fixed opening files from File Managers and other apps.
  • Fixed adding home screen shortcuts on newer devices.
  • Fixed several more possible crash sources.
  • Fixed leaked dialog window on app exit.
  • Added rounded corners to legacy icons.

Have fun!

PS: fMSX Deluxe, my MSX home computer emulator for Android, is on $2.99 sale this week:

fMSX Deluxe - Complete MSX Emulator - Apps on Google Play

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
I have just released VGBA 6.3 for Windows and Linux, a new version of my GameBoy Advance emulator:

Virtual GameBoy Advance: Portable GameBoy Advance Emulator -- homepage
http://fms.komkon.org/VGBA/VGBA63-Windows-bin.zip -- free Windows version
http://fms.komkon.org/VGBA/VGBA63-Ubuntu-x86-bin.tgz -- free Linux version

The new release enables melodic sound emulation while Direct Sound is disabled. This should fix sound in Phantasy Star, International Karate, and a few other games. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
  • Fixed melodic audio playback when DirectSound is off.
  • Fixed sound in International Karate.
  • Fixed sound in Phantasy Star.

The Android version of VGBA, called VGBAnext, is on $2.99 sale at Google Play until next Tuesday:

In addition to GameBoy Advance, VGBAnext will emulate GameBoy Color, GameBoy Classic, NES, Famicom, and a few other Nintendo consoles.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Hello, All!

I have published VGBAnext 6.4.4, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

This release is based on the latest VGBA, iNES, and VGB source code. In order to make File Selector scrolling more responsive, I no longer check for auxiliary files (such as save files, palettes, or cheats) when browsing content URIs. This makes File Selector much faster on Android 10+ devices, where the app cannot access file system directly.
As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning VGBAnext from the store. You can easily reenable cheats though by downloading this file to your Downloads folder:

ALL CHANGES:
  • Disabled querying content providers for auxiliary files to improve performance.
  • Scrolling in File Selector has become much more responsive.
  • Using latest VGBA 6.3 source code.
  • Using latest iNES 6.0 source code.
  • Using latest VGB 5.9 source code.

Have fun!

PS: fMSX Deluxe, my MSX home computer emulator for Android, is on $2.99 sale this week:

fMSX Deluxe - Complete MSX Emulator - Apps on Google Play

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
Hello, All!

I have just released VGBA 6.4 for Windows and Linux, a new version of my GameBoy Advance emulator:

Virtual GameBoy Advance: Portable GameBoy Advance Emulator -- homepage
https://fms.komkon.org/VGBA/VGBA64-Windows-bin.zip -- free Windows version
https://fms.komkon.org/VGBA/VGBA64-Ubuntu-x86-bin.tgz -- free Linux version

The new release makes most command line options work on Windows and adds optional frame rate display. I have also fixed the issue with sound randomly failing to start on Windows. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:
  • Fixed audio randomly not working on VGBA-Windows startup.
  • Added "Video | Show Framerate" menu option to VGBA-Windows.
  • Most command line options should now work in VGBA-Windows.
  • Increased synchronization timer precision in VGBA-Windows.
  • Added "-fps" command line option to VGBA-Linux.

Enjoy!

PS: AlmostTI, my universal TI graphing calc emulator for Android, is on $2.99 sale at Google Play this week:

AlmostTI - TI Calc Emulator - Apps on Google Play

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Hello, All!

I have published VGBAnext 6.4.5, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

This release is based on the latest VGBA and iNES source code. It fixes the problem with in-game save files (.SAV) not being properly preserved on newer Android devices. Additionally, VGBAnext is on $2.99 sale at Google Play this week, 30% off its regular price.

ALL CHANGES:
  • Fixed saving in-game states stored in .SAV files.
  • Using latest VGBA 6.4 source code.
  • Using latest iNES 6.1 source code.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, All!

I have published VGBAnext 6.4.5, a new version of my universal GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, NES, and Famicom emulator for Android:

This release is based on the latest VGBA and iNES source code. It fixes the problem with in-game save files (.SAV) not being properly preserved on newer Android devices. Additionally, VGBAnext is on $2.99 sale at Google Play this week, 30% off its regular price.

ALL CHANGES:
  • Fixed saving in-game states stored in .SAV files.
  • Using latest VGBA 6.4 source code.
  • Using latest iNES 6.1 source code.

Enjoy!
Great work being done here! For some reason clicking "Download Boxart" doesn't work for Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island or Oracle of Ages/Seasons. They keep showing the Gameboy icon.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
Great work being done here! For some reason clicking "Download Boxart" doesn't work for Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island or Oracle of Ages/Seasons. They keep showing the Gameboy icon.
It uses Google search to look for box art which, obviously, isn't guaranteed to bring results 100% of the time. But you can place your own box art image there, and VGBAnext will show it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It uses Google search to look for box art which, obviously, isn't guaranteed to bring results 100% of the time. But you can place your own box art image there, and VGBAnext will show it.
Sorry, where exactly can I place my own boxart for vbganext to show it?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Sorry, where exactly can I place my own boxart for vbganext to show it?
Take a .PNG image. Rename it to "<Game>.gba.box", where "<Game>.gba" is your game file. Place resulting .box file into the same folder where your .gba file is.

If you are unsure of what to do, auto-download some other box art and use it as examples of what names should look like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take a .PNG image. Rename it to "<Game>.gba.box", where "<Game>.gba" is your game file. Place resulting .box file into the same folder where your .gba file is.

If you are unsure of what to do, auto-download some other box art and use it as examples of what names should look like.
This worked great thanks. Is it also possible to have a custom icon for the home screen shortcut to a game? It still shows the gameboy icon.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
This worked great thanks. Is it also possible to have a custom icon for the home screen shortcut to a game? It still shows the gameboy icon.
I haven't thought of it so far. The current plan is to try using latest screenshots as icons.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Simplified box art icons for the shortcuts would be nice as well. Drastic seems to do this in some way.
Well, I cannot include any copyrighted artworks as part of the package. Google is already looking for tiniest of reasons to ban apps they do not internally like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I cannot include any copyrighted artworks as part of the package. Google is already looking for tiniest of reasons to ban apps they do not internally like.
Understandable, well perhaps customizable icons on the home screen would be the best option then.

There's something else, I noticed a lot of flickering in the background in particular areas in Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island. I have linked a save file so you can see it for yourself in one of these areas. Here it is on Google drive.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
There's something else, I noticed a lot of flickering in the background in particular areas in Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island. I have linked a save file so you can see it for yourself in one of these areas. Here it is on Google drive.
Try changing "Settings | Video | Draw Frames" to a fixed value like 75% or 65%. See if it helps. If it does not, set it to "All Frames" and see if THAT helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try changing "Settings | Video | Draw Frames" to a fixed value like 75% or 65%. See if it helps. If it does not, set it to "All Frames" and see if THAT helps.
This didn't help unfortunately. Were you able to reproduce it in this starting area of the linked save file?
Cartoon Vertebrate Leaf Nature Green

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am working and cannot look at this right now. Will have to happen later. Sorry.
No problem! I appreciate you'll look into this.

If there's another file that you need along with the .sav file let me know.

I will be waiting for your test results.

301 - 320 of 321 Posts