Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide whether to get a mid-range priced VGA box or a video Capture card. So far the screen shots I've seen with video capture cards have had the best image quality, much better than the low cost double scanning Vga box I tried (and quickly got rid of). Now I'm trying to decide between another double scanner that offers a [email protected] max output and something called 3-D motion adaptive deinterlacing along with sharpness, brightness and contrast controls or a Connexent video capture card with Dscale. I wonder which would have the better picture on a CRT monitor using a S-video cable. Any suggestions?

P4 2.4 Ghz (800Mhz fsb)
Albatron 865PE Pro II
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
256MB Micron PC3200 DDR400
20GB Nikimi ATA 100
Sound Blaster Live! Value

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
O.T .. you have an Albatron 865PE board!

w00t! I'm not alone! :lol:

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I found that the cheapy VGA box I had which only took composite was better than the best I could get from a Hauppage WinTV. I'd say go for a generic S-Video VGA box.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I'd agree with Kane. I have my TV Tuner card which can do it, but it's really only good for TV. Video Games just don't look sharp enough, as they could with a VGA box. Plus since all the Tuner Cards/Capture cards are different you get a lot of diffrent results. In my case, I get mediocre quality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention I would be getting this equipment soley so I could use my PS2 with my CRT. And I think I will give VGA box another shot. I now remember reading somewhere that video capture cards have poor scale line converters and can only run at 30fps. Now what I would really like is one of those new progressive scan PS2s and a progressive scan VGA box. I think I'll wait for the PS3 before I buy that..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts