Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll keep this short. I get a desktop replacement laptop. To make this easier, let's just assume it's a desktop. This desktop comes with OEM Windows 8 basic. I am able to play Battlefield 3 on High/Ultra settings no problem so there is no reason that VBA-M should falter. It doesn't falter. It runs perfectly. I am able to emulate any game up to Wii games flawlessly.

I get mad at Windows 8 and downgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate (using the term downgrade loosely). I'm able to still run games like Planetside 2 and Battlefield 3. I run VBA-M on all of my games, namely Advance Wars and Pokemon Emerald. I'm getting huge performance fluctuations ranging from 40% speed to 300%. I tamper with every setting, yet nothing changes. It is set to run on all cores, it's set to run on the high performance graphics card, priority increased, etc. Nothing seems to work.

I run Project 64 and try to open Pokemon Stadium three times. I BSOD three times. Should I go back to the cursed Windows 8? What is the problem here?

EDIT: I also installed all of the drivers for my Intel Chipset, Intel VGA, Nvidia Drivers, etc... I'm currently reinstalling them.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I'll keep this short. I get a desktop replacement laptop. To make this easier, let's just assume it's a desktop. This desktop comes with OEM Windows 8 basic. I am able to play Battlefield 3 on High/Ultra settings no problem so there is no reason that VBA-M should falter. It doesn't falter. It runs perfectly. I am able to emulate any game up to Wii games flawlessly.
Set your system to the Performance power profile and see if the issue still presents itself

Otherwise, post the contents of your vbam.ini. FTR, this emulator does not need to be executed on the nvidia gpu, it'll run fine on the intel chip. Also if you enabled a high level of Antialiasing in the global nvidia profile, this is known to cause issues on some lower throughput chips.

I run Project 64 and try to open Pokemon Stadium three times. I BSOD three times. Should I go back to the cursed Windows 8? What is the problem here?
Its a windows bug, you need the latest Windows Kernel Mode Driver update, which replaces the affected Win32k.sys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Set your system to the Performance power profile and see if the issue still presents itself

Otherwise, post the contents of your vbam.ini. FTR, this emulator does not need to be executed on the nvidia gpu, it'll run fine on the intel chip. Also if you enabled a high level of Antialiasing in the global nvidia profile, this is known to cause issues on some lower throughput chips.

Its a windows bug, you need the latest Windows Kernel Mode Driver update, which replaces the affected Win32k.sys
Alright, switching to High Performance fixed VBA-M. I didn't even think of that because I set the same power options for all three modes. Thanks for that.

I'll try as you said for Project 64.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why not go back to win8, its good. I find it better than win7.
I don't really want to migrate to another operating system just because my emulators don't work. And, keeping an open mind, Windows 8 and Windows 7 both have their strong points, but I personally like Windows 7 better (I'm basically saying Windows 8 is ****).

you haven't used it long enough, that's why
I have used it enough. Long enough to enrage me into nuking my HDD and installing Windows 7.

This seems to have fixed the problem so now Dolphin, Project64, and VBA-M work perfectly as they did on Windows 8. Thanks, comrade.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
why not go back to win8, its good. I find it better than win7.
List one good reason as to why 8 is better than 7, because I'm dying to know. The Metro GUI had better not be one of them. Never gotten a single BSOD in Windows 7.

long enough to not even validate installing a start menu replacer on it

7 is superior. 8 is a gimmick piece of ****.
Agreed, there are no apparent or worthwhile advantages that justify an "upgrade" to Windows 8. Unless someone was duped into getting from a computer salesmen and didn't know any better, that's fine. There are no clear major advantages, Windows 7 is by far the more stable Windows OS I've ever used, and it will be a cold day in hell before I ever upgrade to Windows 8.

·
Am I real?
529 Posts
8 is horrid. It was a rushed mess like vista was. I ended up taking 8 off of my wifes new labtop and putting 7 ultimate 64 on it. Updated the drivers and it runs flawlessly....she loves it.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
8 is horrid. It was a rushed mess like vista was. I ended up taking 8 off of my wifes new labtop and putting 7 ultimate 64 on it. Updated the drivers and it runs flawlessly....she loves it.
Exactly. So far, no one has yet listed one good reason why 8 was better than 7, because it's not.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I won't be that guy, but if you ask me, windows 8 is... meh. It's not as horrible as some of you say, but you are right about it not being better than windows 7. The truth is I have windows 8 in my machine but only because it was possible to upgrade your pirated copy of windows 7 to a legal copy of windows 8 for $40.00 and while I definitely don't miss 7, I don't care if I have to go back to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Windows 8 was so bad for me. I love customizing/ricing my desktop with shell replacements, 3rd party themes, etc. Windows 8 won't let me do that. It has a nice stock task manager though. UEFI Bios access is crap, security settings on files are crap, Metro is crap, start screen is crap. I only had Windows 8 because it came with this laptop. In reality, it's not as bad as I say it is, but Windows 8 is definitely not an upgrade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts