Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me whats the format of video cd? i have a real VCD (only playable in Powerd DVD and the likes) and id like to put on the cd JUST the movie files. There are 2 dat files on the CD (together they make 670 MB, so i guess those are the movie ones ;) ), but what files do they really are? asf? mpeg? cause i wanted to see the thing w/ no comercials and subtitles.
and one more thing, can i convert it do DivX?
thkx in advance mates

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
The dat files on the VCD's are Mpeg1 video with some extra information concerning playback control etc for vcd players (has anyone got one of thouse:p) Anyways to convert them to DiVX you need to use a vcd to avi converter like vcdgear. Instructions and links to required programs are available at http://www.digital-digest.com/nickyguides/vcd-2-divx.htm

This guide is older the new version 4 of the DiVX codec is at www.divx.com

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I wish I would start buying 700mb CD-Rs, some of these movies are getting bulky, you need 2 just for FF:TSW VCD!

C

·
0 Posts
Most VCD movie rips are 2CDs, Asz, with about 400-500MB on each CD, but of course, it varies..

·
Registered
775 Posts
I sometimes rent the DVD's from blockbuster, burn them to a XVCD or XVCD's and watch them on my laptop:D :cool:

Yes VCD's are mpeg-1, but when you make them to XVCD you get a little more better quality (but it'll take a little bit more space on your disc:rolleyes: as well:D )

Like for example I made Jet Li's "Fist of Legend" on 2 disc's 80 min C-DR's;

---------------------------Film----------------------Disc------------------------------
Disc-1:-------------------50:16--------------------79:00-----------------------------
Disc-2:-------------------50:57--------------------80:00-----------------------------

As you can see difference from the film's length and how much space it takes on the disc. O yeah the bitrate was 2000;) , plus including some configuring on the different encoders, plus when converting a film to mpeg-1, it will take some hours as well:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts