Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been experiencing this problem. It only happpens after about 10 - 20 minutes of playing a game on VisualBoy Advance. It doesn't restart, it just powers off my entire computer. I don't know how or why. I have the newest version. And I'm on Windows XP. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Or if not, then how to find out what the problem is? Please help.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
VBA doesn't use registry keys anymore, so you won't have to delete anything. Second, do you run virus scanner on your computer? Do you have some power saving setting that could be turning off the computer? Does the screen saver triggers when playing VBA?

VBA will not shutdown your computer. You can see the code for yourself if you don't believe it. Of course, it is hard to say what's going on as it doesn't happen with everybody, thanks for the lovely way windows is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, update...

My computer just shut down when I was watching a .avi file in the same fashion. A DVD rip.

I'm guessing it's a monitor or video card problem maybe?

I know it's not virus/screen saver/auto-poweroff timer setting related. It may be overheating related, though I don't see how... because of this realization, I'm no longer in the proper forums, I'm sorry. But still, could anyone help? Thanks.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Johnathan said:
Okay, update...

My computer just shut down when I was watching a .avi file in the same fashion. A DVD rip.

I'm guessing it's a monitor or video card problem maybe?

I know it's not virus/screen saver/auto-poweroff timer setting related. It may be overheating related, though I don't see how... because of this realization, I'm no longer in the proper forums, I'm sorry. But still, could anyone help? Thanks.

This is perfectly fine place for these questions. We are almost all computer nerds of some degree afterall! :lol: Get a program called Hardware Monitor (google it. shouldnt be hard to find) and use it to see your computer temperatures after crashing. Mostly you can check temperatures in your computers BIOS too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what it look like when I ran it with nothing running.

And a little bit into playing the game, it got like this:

Shortly after: "Sorry, you need to buy/register this program to go beyond 10 minutes." So, I kept playing. About 5 - 15 minutes later, my computer shut down, as expected.

I'm guessing red is bad...

So could this be the problem? If so, what do I do about it?

EDIT: Oh, not that it has any relevance... but it might... but the two things I change in VBA before I play is, 1, make the frame skip 0, then 2, set my computer controller. I don't think that has anything to do with it, since it also shut down my computer when I played a DVD-rip .avi file.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Forgotten said:
VBA doesn't use registry keys anymore, so you won't have to delete anything. Second, do you run virus scanner on your computer? Do you have some power saving setting that could be turning off the computer? Does the screen saver triggers when playing VBA?

VBA will not shutdown your computer. You can see the code for yourself if you don't believe it. Of course, it is hard to say what's going on as it doesn't happen with everybody, thanks for the lovely way windows is.
Actually win32 version of VBA does use registry to keep track some information. The third party open source module "AcceleratorManager.cpp" include "reg.h" and use registry to save settings. There also other moudles in VBA also include "reg.h".

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Johnathan said:
You instill fear.

What do I do, what do I do?!

First, check if your computer internals and fans are dusty. Clean all dust away using pressurised-air spray (someone finally made a way to make money with nothing but air! :lol: ) from fans and such. You can use vacuum cleaner close to that spray to suck "airborn" dust clouds away. Avoid touching internals because you might cause static spark which is harmfull to computer. If its still too hot, get two extra-fans for your computer. One to blow hot-air away (place it to backside of the case. There should be a slot for it, right under of the PSU) and one to suck cool air in. (place it to frontside of case) They cost only few bucks each.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
suanyuan said:
Actually win32 version of VBA does use registry to keep track some information. The third party open source module "AcceleratorManager.cpp" include "reg.h" and use registry to save settings. There also other moudles in VBA also include "reg.h".
No, registry is no longer used, not even by AcceleratorManager. reg.h is a wrapper to INI or registry with INI being the default.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.