Status
Not open for further replies.

VBA-S [S as in Spacy]

140K views 207 replies 45 participants last post by  Spacy 
#1 · (Edited)
From the ReadMe:
What is VBA S?
VisualBoyAdvance S is an unofficial modification of
the original VisualBoyAdvance by Forgotten.
My nickname is Spacy or Spacy51.http://forums.ngemu.com/

My aim:
I want to make this emulator fit my needs and hopefully the needs of others,
which want a light-weight, small, fast, easy to use and multimedial emulator for the GBA
that makes as much use of the power of modern PCs as possible, but with sense.
If you need one of the removed features, just use the official emulator build
or try another one of the many VBA modificated versions.

Design guidelines:
- Easy GUI for people which are not familiar with GB/A emulation
- Still keep debug and dumping functions
- Include everything in one EXE file (no need to search for any DLLs/Applications except DirectX)
- Use only free (as in freedom) software
- Remove senseless/gay features
- Strive for hardware acceleration
Here's the link to the latest version: http://forums.ngemu.com/visualboy-advance/65095-vba-s-s-spacy-4.html#post949142

--------------------

Hi.
I'll continue in this thread, because the old title "VBA -> Direct3D9" just doesn't fit enough ;)

Here's my new release:
S1.7.6:
Emu:
- Readded MMX macro
- Updated zlib to 1.2.3
- Changed some first start options
- Other small changes
- Put zlib & libpng in seperate Projects
- Added most changes from the latest CVS source
- Small changes to ROM Header Info (just4fun)
- Fixed the linker error (new&delete defined twice)

Filters:
- Speeded up HQ3X code
- Fixed LQ2X using HQ2X functions

Display:
- Added extended display mode selection (GDI/D3D)
(Display Adapter, Resolution, Bit Depth, Frequency)
- No more unnecessary black borders in full screen
- Direct3D doesn't always take the whole screen (only if you want)
- Direct3D shows menu and windows correct
- Direct3D doesn't show a black screen if left fullscreen to Windows
- Changes on max scale are applied immediately

Sound:
- Updated sound to DirectSound8

Known Bugs:
- fsMaxScale = 1 in Direct3D fullscreen results in wrong image size
- Direct3D: Menu toggle takes a little too long

Download:
Binary & Readme
Source Code

NEEDED: DirectX DLL [d3dx9_26.dll]
(YOU NEED THIS EVEN IF
YOU ALREADY HAVE INSTALLED THE LATEST DirectX9 RUNTIME)

See less See more
#27 ·
I already notices that there were some new problems in the new CVS changes, because some palette data in the Harvest Moon 3 menu seem to be wrong. I think there will not be a problem for me, because I only released WIPs for now with your changes.

I will just wait for your new bugfixes and everything will be okay.

P.S.:
I have just sent you a PM to ask for your contact data.

#29 · (Edited)
VBA WIP 2006_02_11 Download

Hi there!
I have put together another fine Work-In-Progress release.

PokemonHacker is actualy fixing some bugs in the GB emulation core. I will release my 1.7.7 final version as soon as he is finished with fixing bugs. But I also have to complete some things (HQ4x for example).

Here are the changes to the last WIP version:
Code:
- Applied mhamanaka's patch for the jopyad config problems for japanese users
- Updated DirectInput to version 8
- Updated DirectSound to version 8
- Changed DirectX Initializations
- Updated GNU GPL info in every source file
- Removed some remaining SDL code
- Increased code's 64 bit compatibility
- Fixed Tab order for Option Dialog
- Dialog for video settings now working
- D3D: Calculation of the image position is now done only once instead of every frame
- Pre-defined full screen resolutions now keep the current bit depth
- Pre-defined 1024 & 1280 modes work now with D3D
- Replaced TheCloudOfSmoke's color set with a better one, made by PokemonHacker
- Made fullscreen mode select code look better
- Removed remaining GUID variables from DirectDraw
- Added option to D3D to keep aspect ratio (affects windowed & fs mode)
- Removed MaxScale option (it is useless in my eyes and hard to implement with matrices)
- Updated about box
The files:
Optimized Binary [MMX, SSE, UPX compressed]
http://www.magicstone.de/spacy/VBA/WIP_2006_02_11/VBA_WIP_2006_02_11_BIN.7z

d3dx9_28.dll [download if missing]
http://www.magicstone.de/spacy/VBA/WIP20062101/d3dx9_28.7z

Complete source code [ready to compile]
http://www.magicstone.de/spacy/VBA/WIP_2006_02_11/VBA_WIP_2006_02_11_SRC.7z

have fun finding bugs :p

#32 · (Edited)
Sorry, but if the display mode is not shown in the list, the hardware does not support it. Moreover I do not think there are any graphic cards / displays that support 240 x 160.

Why don't you just select the best display mode? VBA scales the image to the maximum, so you do not lose any pixels.
And if you want to take screenshots, there is an extra menu entry and a shortcut for that.

#33 ·
Spacy i love the work u doing keep it up ^^

Edit: I hope u can find it in your heart to add a way that u can dump the sound in to midi... there's only one emu that do that... and ill not pay for something that should be free... now donate ill do that all day long.. but i just dont think u should pay for a emu of any kind...

#34 ·
Spacy, I think siro is asking for a color scheme filter to make it look like LCD colors, not a different resolution. No$gba has such an option, and I remember reading about an unofficial version of VBA that had it (but forgotten refused to add the code to the official version because the guy had reverse engineered it from no$gba).

#35 ·
2 things:
1.i can't use skins(i can't find the option)
2.i can't play at 1x with D3D...

seeya

#37 ·
Spacy said:
I have removed the skin option because I do not like skins at all :D

1x size works for me in every display mode. Are you using pixel filters ?
i've tryed using it and not using it =P
thanks

PS:you don't like skins! omg...(i use on from TheCloudOfSmoke that's a gba(not a SP)

seeya

#38 ·
Good job on the new builds and the new features but theres some serious performance bugs

i set up an older version of VBA and this one to have exactly te same settings and the older version was much smoother.

have tested this on a duron 1100 with a Ti4800se and a AthlonXP 2000+ with a FX5900XT

#39 ·
Squall-Leonhart said:
Good job on the new builds and the new features but theres some serious performance bugs
I can back this up, I've spend some time testing the older VBA Smooth and all official builds with the same settings... your version is probably best overall but slowest here on my system (especially full-screen somehow). System is a P4 1.7 GHz and a GeForce3. My other system which is a high-end P4 3.2 GHz HT and an ATI 600XT has no trouble at all in windowed mode, but slows down too in full-screen mode. It slows down even more with VSync/TB and a filter enabled (also full-screen only).

#40 ·
yes, at 4x window mode it runs normal, but FS its slow.. i disabled my FSAA as well and AF so its not that.

#41 ·
Many of the bugs you encounter are because this is built on VBA 1.8x. 1.8x introduced a whole slew of new bugs which have never been addresses because that was when forgotten stopped working on it, and no one else has really stepped up to take his place. Currently, the most recent 1.7x versions are much better than the 1.8x ones in almost every way. Some of the newer games are glitched on 1.7, but work fine on 1.8, but aside from that....

#42 ·
i have the last beta made by forgotten and none of the so called bugs caused slowdowns...

nice forum btw.. i like the colours

also has anyone ever gotten DBZ 1 to work on VBA.. i own the cartridge.. just wanted to play it big screen.... it says unsupported hardware

#43 ·
Squall-Leonhart said:
i have the last beta made by forgotten and none of the so called bugs caused slowdowns...

nice forum btw.. i like the colours

also has anyone ever gotten DBZ 1 to work on VBA.. i own the cartridge.. just wanted to play it big screen.... it says unsupported hardware
Just look at the sticky thread! It even mentions DBZ on it!

Forgotten

#44 ·
thanks for that forgotten

there is on other issue

the unofficial beta's that spacey has done, the save types don't appear to work correctly

#46 ·
no what i mean, is that in your last versions i set the save type to i think... flash 128k and i no longer got the save has corrupted message in the newer pokemon games.

but in this new version it appears to happen again :(

#47 ·
I think I've made some small changes in the save type handling, mostly to disallow the emulator to create save file when save type was set to 'none'. I don't remember precisely if I changed something else...

So, could you post a save state and your .sav file, so I can investigate what's going on ?

#48 ·
its not save states that im on about, its the save itself.. but i can post it

here ya go.

the save works.. but the corrupt message gets annoying...

#49 ·
Ok. I just looked into the save 'problems'.
There is (was) indeed some bugs in the CVS build of VBA (which means 1.8.0b3 don't have them, but Spacy's build has them :/), which I just corrected on my PC (I'll need more time to check I didn't broke anything again).

However, your save isn't "correct". It's a 64k save, and pokemon expects a 128k one (that could explain your save gives a corrupted message). So you should 'duplicate' it to a bigger file (with an hex editor, or in windows commands : rename the .sav file to '1.sav', put it in c:,then use this in the cmd box: copy /b c:\1.sav+c:\1.sav "c:\pokemon sapphire.sav"), and that might correct some of your troubles.

#50 · (Edited)
thats coz i saved it with the new VBA

the 128k save's dont work, and neither does making the ini file to tell pokemon that its 128k

the 128k option from vba is missing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.