Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jldnr77 said:
Could you look into fixing the problems that Forgotten left with Creative drivers? I had a SoundBlaster Live! LS and I got sound errors all over the place....I figured it was because it was a 16 bit sound card...anyway...I have finally upgraded to a SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS which is a 24 bit buffer and plays audio great, however there is still all kinds of sound glitches with VBA. I know forgotten said on his website that he thinks Creative's drivers suck, and that's why he never built in support for them....but for people who use soundblaster....(which I believe is alot)...this kind of leaves us out in the cold....
(1) VBA internal using 16 bit stereo as playback sound buffer format, so high end sound card support 24-bit, 32-bit and 48-bit playback quality didn't have any advantage to low end sound card like creative PCI 128 or an on-board sound chip like AC97.

(2) VBA using DirectSound as audio playback API, any sound card works fine with DirctSound should work fine with VBA.

(3) Try to turn on "options->emulator->synchronize" option and set "options->frame skip->throttle->no throttle". With sound synchronization turn on, you should get rid off most of sound glitches.

(4) Try my build of VBA smooth download from http://vbasmooth.emulation64.com/, with the help of Kode54's PCM interpoation module, you can get a more clear audio ouput.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Spacy said:
Hi guys. Lately I have been dealing a bit with wxWidgets. wxWidgets is comparable to Microsoft's MFC, but it is platform independant and easier to develop (imo). I am really thinking of rewriting the VBA GUI to use wxWidgets, because I could make the whole code look cleaner and make it easier for new developers to add things. Moreover it should not be too hard to use the normal VBA emulation cores (GB/GBA), because they are coded GUI-independant. So, what do you think? For me it would be a great incentive to create something on my own, and besides, I could get deeper into platform-independant development. Afaik, VBA could then be easily ported to Mac, Linux and maybe even to embeded devices if the wxWidgets developers work on that.
The other idea is to seprate the GUI from emulation core as a stand alone front end.

Let GUI front end handles GUI stuff then pass the setting information to VBA core by setting file or setting xml or even with command line parameters.

The greatest emulator MAME works very well by this way.:smash:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.