Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if anyone else gets this, but sometimes when im using VBA i'll get random lag spikes that reduce the speed to around 30% for a random amount of seconds (always more than 5 seconds though) before returning to normal?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Have you checked if your CPU usage spikes at that time and what might be causing that CPU spike?
Is it a laptop?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it's a Desktop, and yes I have checked, everytime it happened there was no change to either the CPU usage nor the memory usage.

Although maybe im looking in the wrong place, whenever I checked the CPU usage it was the number next to the program name, which never changed abnormally, next time i'll look at the CPU percentage at the bottom.

My specs are the following btw,

2.8Ghz CPU 2
1GB RAM

I do suspect it is the CPU myself because during the lag spikes if I try to change to a different browser it would change slow as if my computer was being choppy.

If it is indeed the CPU having random spasms, is there anything I can do? (upgrading my processor is out of the question right now, at best I can upgrade my RAM to 2GB)

Although when I tried rebooting, it didnt make a difference.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Arrange the task manager according to CPU use and have it open next to VBA and check if something keeps on popping up when VBA slows down...because it seriously sounds like a spike caused for instance by a browser doing a refresh on a page or something like that.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Its 1 of 4 things

Sudden cpu spike
Multicore optimised filters screwing up
The game itself (titles like FF4/6 are bad ports and have performance issues even on the GBA)
A hardware device or driver is causing the system Interrupt process to spike (Hidden process on visible in Process Explorer)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be the game itself then because it's being happening with my FFIV and FFV playthroughs (EU version roms btw)

That or my CPU being a pain on me.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Hmm, had no problems in either of those games, and that's on my old AMD Athlon64 system which can still be seen in my profile so I can't see how it's the game.
So I still say some process is spiking at the moment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok this is definatly weird, I tested it today and everytime I got the lag spikes I was surprised to see that it was explorer.exe that was randomly lashing out at the CPU, everytime i experianced the lag, exporer.exe would be using around 20-30 CPU and immediatly drop to 00-01 when the lag dissapeared.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Then you should run Process Explorer and check that there are no malicious DLL's loaded with Explorer.exe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the late update, I thought the problem had solved, all I did was close the IE browser I wasnt using and it never got anymore lag spikes, but recently it came back, and I took these two screens using Process Explorer.

When there's no lag:

During the lag:

So...any ideas?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Avast!....hmm I know it's AV software and it's good...but it might be the cause of the spikes...I know it's not really doing anything special or showing some large CPU use, but I remember it causing erratic behaviour on my system now and then as well.
IE definitely also spikes now and then (although that's mainly during use, not when it's just idley sitting there).

You missed out the other important stuff, you should take another 2 screenshots showing more of the bottom, cuz the stuff at the top is mainly windows services which all seem in order.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the other 2 showing the bottom.

When there's no Lag:

During the lag:

Note with the second one that it's hard to show exactly because thats only one frame, everytime it happend and i looked in Process Explorer several of the programs under explorer.exe kept jumping around with the CPU, if you get what i mean. >_<

They didnt use up much CPU (around just over or under 1.00) but they only seemed to use any during the lag, if that helps.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I still think it's Avast!.....give AVG or AntiVir a shot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, this is starting to get annoying, now it's affecting IE aswell, more specifically when im watching videos (e.g Youtube), in IE's case when it happens, it's normally around 7%-50%, but during the lag spikes it'll jump to anything between 60-95%.

:(

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
How long have you been using Avast! ?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
And you have only had these slowdowns for like 2 weeks now?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts