Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My issue concerns Linux version. I installed VBA-M using .deb file from SourceForge page, and it also removed my Yabause and DeSmuME emulators. Why?! I can't really see any good reason for that, it must be some sort of mistake. I haven't yet tried to re-install Yabause and DeSmuME, but still, is there a way to install VBA-M without affecting said emulators?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Thanks for the info, sorry to hear that, though. Hopefully someone capable will make a new package soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm assuming you are using 64 bit distro. What I did to work around this is to compile Desmume 0.9.9 myself (0.9.10 doesn't seem to cooperate with gcc 4.8) obtained from Desmume's old version Sourceforge page. Then I installed the 32 bit VBA-M package I saved form when their website was still up. No insta-removal of packages. :)
Besides, the versions in the repos sucks anyways. Their Desmume is without SSE so it's slow. Their VBA seg faults and it has no cheats capability. The only distro I've seen that truly has great up-to-date packages is Antergos (based on Arch).

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm indeed using 64-bit distro, and thanks for the files. I tried to compile both Yabause and Desmume in various ways, but it didn't work. I don't have the outputs now, but I also couldn't figure out from them what the exact problem was in both cases (read: I didn't understand the output). Earlier I had to compile PCSX-Reloaded from source, and it was a pretty daunting task due to various missing stuff (SolisX was great help and also patient in helping me out on that one). It's true that emulators aren't as well supported in repo as they should be, but constant relying on compiling isn't good either - it can get complicated, and the repository is there for a good reason. Also, if user wants several emulators, compiling too many of them is a royal PITA (I bet distro hoppers stay far away from that).

Looks like this remains unsolved for now. It's very sad that Linux version of VBA-M doesn't seem to be that well supported anymore - IMO GBA was one of the best platforms out there gamewise. There's always the good old VBA, but it doesn't support gamepads at all, at least not in my distro.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, I just noticed that I had forgotten something essential from my previous post. DaTankAC, that .deb file you provided still wants to remove Yabause and Desmume, so it doesn't unfortunately change the situation.

I had to come back and mention this, because without it my previous post doesn't seem to make any sense. My apologies. :oops:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts