Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Not with VBA-M, that feature was broken a while ago due to various other fixes and has not been fixed yet, please try VBA-Link instead.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
its not entirely broken.... the underlying pipeline is there it just isn't connecting with the settings too well.... i think one of the classes is missing.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
it was however disabled as far as I recall?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the linking menu is just greyed in the resources.

·
Registered
2 Posts
About that old "per-gamepad autofire" update for Linux, is it that each button has another key assigned for their turbo function (instead of that "permanent" autofire in the original VBA)? If it's the case, why wasn't it implemented in Windows port yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have some points about VBA-M, with most of them being due to the original VBA.

-> Is the movie recording feature useful at all? It just creates a proprietary video file and plays it inside the emulator. How is this better than recording an AVI, that allows you to play in any media player software out there? ;)

-> Does the file extension association menu actually work? I cannot test it now as the GB, GBC and GBA files are already associated in my PC but I remember the function not working in the original VBA. At least, it didn't work 100%.

-> The INI file should go back to its original location (the same folder as the app) since moving it to the Roaming folder in AppData is not exactly the best place. ;)

-> "Remove intros (GBA)" and "Game Overrides..." features are grayed out for what reason? Are they not working properly or are they just leftovers from the original VBA coding?

-> "Border Automatic" should be right below "Border" and not below "Printer". The handheld (both individually and as a series) is called Game Boy and not Gameboy as it appears in the Options menu. And speaking of that section of the menu, why is the GBC option entitled CGB/GBC? The console is called Game Boy Color as far as I'm concerned (and that goes for Nintendo too). :rolleyes:

-> Don't know if it's the right place to ask but can someone explain me what VSync and MMX are? :lol:

-> In the Input section, the input boxes in the key assignment options shouldn't switch to the next one automatically. It's damn annoying, especially when you input the wrong key. :mad:

-> Don't know if it's a user-related thing but when I play games, the emulator misses some of the bits. Try playing Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, e.g., in both the original VBA and VBA-M so you can check the difference. The original VBA plays all (at least most of the) bits of the audio while VBA-M misses some of them. So, in that regard, the original VBA matches more the real GBA than VBA-M. oO

That's all for now and keep up the good work. :thumb:

·
Banned
42 Posts
-> The INI file should go back to its original location (the same folder as the app) since moving it to the Roaming folder in AppData is not exactly the best place.
Let me explain. This is done for Vista/Win7 compatibility reasons, since people often have different users on their machine.

-> Is the movie recording feature useful at all? It just creates a proprietary video file and plays it inside the emulator. How is this better than recording an AVI, that allows you to play in any media player software out there?
Speedruns perhaps? I know someone was working on adding a frameserver to dump frames.

And speaking of that section of the menu, why is the GBC option entitled CGB/GBC? The console is called Game Boy Color as far as I'm concerned (and that goes for Nintendo too).
Any need to be so picky?

That's all for now and keep up the good work.
Its not good work if any one users dislikes it.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I have some points about VBA-M, with most of them being due to the original VBA.

-> Is the movie recording feature useful at all? It just creates a proprietary video file and plays it inside the emulator. How is this better than recording an AVI, that allows you to play in any media player software out there? ;)
The emulator saves button presses and then records to AVI on the second pass. This is because many users are still on single chip systems with which it is impossible to record an AVI and play at the same time without one or the other suffering from frame drops

-> Does the file extension association menu actually work? I cannot test it now as the GB, GBC and GBA files are already associated in my PC but I remember the function not working in the original VBA. At least, it didn't work 100%.
It works fine, however any function that makes registry changes requires that the emulator be started with full admin permissions (admin accounts are limited to user mode unless told to elevate upon application launch)

-> The INI file should go back to its original location (the same folder as the app) since moving it to the Roaming folder in AppData is not exactly the best place. ;)
The ini works from both locations, if its in the vba folder it won't be created in the appdata folder.

-> "Remove intros (GBA)" and "Game Overrides..." features are grayed out for what reason? Are they not working properly or are they just leftovers from the original VBA coding?

Remove intro's is only for games that have an intro in the opening bytes, Game ovverrides is only enabled on GBA games while it is running (otherwise it doesn't know what to set the ID Code to in the vba-over.ini)

-> "Border Automatic" should be right below "Border" and not below "Printer". The handheld (both individually and as a series) is called Game Boy and not Gameboy as it appears in the Options menu. And speaking of that section of the menu, why is the GBC option entitled CGB/GBC? The console is called Game Boy Color as far as I'm concerned (and that goes for Nintendo too). :rolleyes:
I'll leave that alone just to annoy you.

-> Don't know if it's the right place to ask but can someone explain me what VSync and MMX are? :lol:
Spoonfeeding is reserved for my future children, not for people who have access to google.

-> In the Input section, the input boxes in the key assignment options shouldn't switch to the next one automatically. It's damn annoying, especially when you input the wrong key. :mad:
This i can agree with, the Input code is to be rewritten in the future anyway as it reports DInput values wrong.

-> Don't know if it's a user-related thing but when I play games, the emulator misses some of the bits. Try playing Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, e.g., in both the original VBA and VBA-M so you can check the difference. The original VBA plays all (at least most of the) bits of the audio while VBA-M misses some of them. So, in that regard, the original VBA matches more the real GBA than VBA-M. oO

That's all for now and keep up the good work. :thumb:
This is probably buffer length / mixer related, I've not heard any sound differences between the Pokemon Games.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.