Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think Forgotten would ever make this into a really kick-butt DS emu? All the GBA stuff is really well done, it would be the perfect evolutionary step.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Forgotten dropped the VBA project. He handed it over to another programmer, but there haven't been any updates since then. I wouldn't hold my breath for DS support in it any thime soon.

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
...at least not in the official version. However, there have been 3 unofficial versions released recently (that I know of), one for link support, one for better cheat searching, and one for some unknown purpose. With this in mind, it's quite possible that an unofficial version will be released which has NDS support.

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
But I doubt that will happen any time soon.....has anyone figured a way to transfer the games from the DS to PC? And even if so, won't we need powerfull machines to run it? Cause remember it's a tuned-down, but updated, version of the Nintendo 64.

r2rX

·
Registered
111 Posts
VisualBoy is such an awesome program. Sad to know that the creator is no longer working on it, but then again, there is not much that's left to do with VBA as it relates to GBA emulation anyway.

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
There's still things to tweak. The fact that there are at least 3 other versions of VBA (4 if you count that CE one) shows that. One version adds link support, one greatly improves cheat searching, another adds a filter or two, all could use speed enhancements (the 3 unofficial versions are each only half as fast as the official one, which could some some speed improvement itself), plus there are still issues with sound syncronization. Still, it might not be possible to improve speed and sound without a total rewrite of the code. *shrug*

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
*scatches head* Um doesn't the DS already play GBA?

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Oh I just got confused :p I was thinking of VBA for the DS ... Which didn't make much sense LOL. But yea, a DS emu ... Yay!

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I'm sure a mouse could be used as a touch screen :)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well there are always Wacom tablets :p I have one, but they would be kind of expensive for someone who would just use them for DS emulation :heh:

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Since the DS is supposed to be a sort of stripped down version of the N64, it's probably more likely to be emulated by someone who makes N64 emulators than someone who makes gameboy ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hardware wise it is actually a lot closer to the GBA then the N64 - for one, it uses an ARM family processor, as does the GBA.

Anyway guys, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for an NDS emulator in the near future :p

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
I read somewhere that it was essentially a slimmed down N64. Perhaps that was just a rumor based on the fact that it has so many N64 ports already. *shrug*

There is the DSemu in the works, although I'm starting to doubt that it'll ever make it to production. A recent announcement on his site makes me suspect he's going to wind up just making it a GBA emu, or abandoning it completely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cypherswipe said:
...at least not in the official version. However, there have been 3 unofficial versions released recently (that I know of), one for link support, one for better cheat searching, and one for some unknown purpose. With this in mind, it's quite possible that an unofficial version will be released which has NDS support.
Can you tell me where i can find the "better cheat" clone that you mentioned?
Any URL pointers or name of the project so I can search myself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Metroid demo is the one legitimate DS rom out there currently. It was dumped by darkfader, and more information can be found at the DS section of gbadev.org

It was dumped for DS development purposes, and therefore will probably be the only one dumped at least by anybody affiliated with that site. Since it's only a demo and is given away free with the system (unless you bought yours in Japan, of course) it should be harmless to distribute. Or so goes my understanding of the consideration behind the move, anyway,

All the other roms circulating for piracy hopefuls are fake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts