Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I pretty much have nothing to do in my vacations, I've decided to put my lazy bum to something more productive then just games, I think I'm gonna get the ball rolling on beginning to learn some basic programming. I know VisualBasic is the best language to start off with, and you can also make a variety of software with it. But I can't decide whether I should go ahead with VisualBasic 6 or 2008. I know that the language in both is similar for the most part, but the UI is pretty different AFAIK.

VB6:

Pros:
- I already have some basic experience with it making really simple apps like calculators and stuff
- There's A LOT of tutorials and material on the internet to get help with

Cons:

- It isn't free
- Its bound to get out-dated soon

VB2008:

Pros:
- Its free
- Its the new thing, so its probably gonna last longer

Cons:

- Not that much help and tuts out there for it. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of stuff, but not as much as VB6.

So can anyone help me decide and/or point out some more pros and cons for each that I'm not aware of.

Also, I'm open to other languages as well that you guys might think is easy for beginners (C# and Python?)

Thanks in advance.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
I bet a lot are going to say C#. :p But in my opinions, maybe just learn what you are comfortable with. Even not learning is fine. Go do some graphics or something. It doesn't necessarily have to be programming the entire summer.

If you must check something out, I'd recommend Java aside from C#. Java is also free... and you can probably get a lot of source codes for the program you want to make...

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't JAVA like, as complicated as C++? Also I'm thinking I'll stick to one thing, a rolling stone gathers no moss :D

Oh, and graphics don't interest me......not at all, its torture for me :lol: And it definitely won't be programming the entire summer, just something I'll do for a pass time, like 1-2 hours a day.

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
if you know and are comfortable with vb i would say stick with it but use visual studio 2008, its newer and its sure to have had bugs worked out of it that might have existed in vb 6. but c# is also a nice language to learn and it works in a similar fashion to vb so you may find it to be a little bit easier to learn than some other languages. also c# has nice tutorials available without having to look all over the place too.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
mmmm let me see... with VB6 you could code this:

VB6 is quite good if you know how to code right with it.. in fact every tool is good for something... anyways i personally do not recommend any of them. VB.net seems to be quite advanced and a lot better than VB6 but anyways the language itself lacks some stuff.

C/C++ will be the choice of many here but not mine for you... the reason? pretty obvious i do not recommend something because others tell me to do so or because i want to show people am the best lol! nor because of the C/C++ status... more than that i recommend according my experiences ;)

(i don´t care what others may say so whoever you are don´t bother to quote this post) i do recommend C# why??? if you are a Windows developer i definitelly recommend you that language because it has one of the best debugger out there and because its quite powerfull at the same time.

what could be done with C#? mmmm let me think...probably that:

am always carefull here because people are starting to think i work for MS lol!!! well i work with there tools and i pretty much like them that´s all ;) and again i recommend what i think it could be the best for you. C/C++ in other hands is very powerfull and is also my main language(so to say) but it has a big problem... it´s quite hard and messy if you ask me and most of the people that starts to learn that language give up after a while... and other than that i pretty much think that the syntax is quite overrated and old.

i would like to make clear to others that i love C/C++ and i have nothing against that language as i´ve been using it for more than 14 years now(C) but the reason why i think that way is because am not a fan of languages or tools am a fan of my skills which helps me everytime to code something.. one tip from me: languages doesn´t make good coders but a good coder do make good apps ;)

last but not least what am recommending you here is just my personal opinion.. others may have different ones but at the end you are the one that have to choose the way you´re going to go. in case you won´t learn C# then i recommend you VB.net and not VB6 as MS seems to have fixed and also corrected/added lots of stuff so it´s definitelly worth the try.

Regards
@ruantec

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was considering C# but I opened VB2008 just now, and (at least on the outside), there's a 50% resemblance to VB6's UI, so I'm feeling comfortable with this, plus I found a nice free 50 minute video tutorial on MS's website plus some articles for beginners (see this if you're interested). I'm currently downloading the entire package, which is a whopping 400MB! Includes all tuts plus some sample codes and templates as well which I reckon will be helpful,

Thanks for the input guys, more suggestions still welcome :)

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
if you´re familiar with the VB6 UI then VB.net is great.. there are few things that aren´t supported(for good) by VB.net which are available in VB6. for example say good bye to the non - Option Explicit code and "Optional" as a type hehehe. eitherway good luck with it and if you need some help just contact me ;)

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I only started learning basics like variables, arrays, functions and parameters today, and....so far so good I must say :thumb: The syntax is pretty easy once you get into it and IntelliSense makes it all the more easier.

So I made my very first app, a basic calculator. + - / * function up to 9 digits :heh:

·
Registered
252 Posts
There's one thing I especially like about VB6: its speed. A couple of years ago I had to convert a program from VB6 to VB2005 because the company I worked for "upgraded" to the newest version. While the VB6 version of the program was fast on every computer the company had (even an old P133), the VB2005 version was sluggish on each of them, even the Pentium 4 I used for the conversion.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Just as hatorijr stated i can also confirm that the C# syntax is awesome and easy to learn... maybe is easy for us as we are C/C++ devs and the syntax is pretty much the same but eitherway i think is very easy to learn for every one. VB and C# are quite different when it comes to loop and almost every area but if you learn the basics you will see how easy it could be. you will also get familiar with the C syntax aswell because C# is pretty much based on it and not on java at all :p

the thing is people see C# as the next java and they are quite wrong.. actually C# was originally C+++ which was the original codename as it was more based on C/C++ than java.. they changed the name because C+++ wasn´t really the way to go and decided to call it C#. what i want to tell you with that is that you shouldn´t get confused by false anti-MS bull**** and just use it as its.... C# is a awesome mixture between Java and C/C++ ;)

·
Emu Author
613 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm....sounds interesting. I'll download C# from MSDN tomorrow and see what the syntax is like. I suppose it'd be better to start off with a more powerful language to begin with rather then learning VB and then starting C# or C++ all over again.

Thanks for the advice people :)

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Well IMO C# is not the best thing or such but IF you go with .NET you SHOULD go with it.
Read more about C# and other programing languages here:
One Div Zero: A Brief, Incomplete, and Mostly Wrong History of Programming Languages
And some more interesting things here:
Prabir's Blog | LLVM# – Native C# Compiler
mmm the first blog seems more like a nice to read blog but interesting enough.. tho the second one attracted my attention because it could be amazing... so if get this right it means the LLVM# is trying to free C# from .net and compile the whole thing just as a C/C++ app would do.... that´s simply amazing and a project i´ll keep an eye on it.... so bookmarking this one right now :thumb:

last but not least thanks for the info.... it seems that my predictions about C# weren´t that wrong as i´ve seen times were C was the only language than came C++ and has the same hype as C# and now C# which i felt in love after being a .net and C# hater in the past myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Llvm#

Hi,
I'm Prabir and am working on the project LLVM# as my senior project for Bachelor Degree in Computer Science.
Its basic idea is to convert C# to native code, thou it will not include all the features of C#, I plan it to make it open source and continue its development even after my project gets over. For more information please have a look at the official site http://projects.prabir.me/compiler.
Who knows mite be latter once the compiler is matured enough we can even have an OS in C#(not taking about Cosmos, SharpOS, Singularity which works only for x86..)
And for your langague of choice, I think C# is quite a good idea.
:yawn: Happy programming!!!

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Hi,
I'm Prabir and am working on the project LLVM# as my senior project for Bachelor Degree in Computer Science.
Its basic idea is to convert C# to native code, thou it will not include all the features of C#, I plan it to make it open source and continue its development even after my project gets over. For more information please have a look at the official site http://projects.prabir.me/compiler.
Who knows mite be latter once the compiler is matured enough we can even have an OS in C#(not taking about Cosmos, SharpOS, Singularity which works only for x86..)
And for your langague of choice, I think C# is quite a good idea.
:yawn: Happy programming!!!
Hey! nice to see you here too... your project got my attention already and is indeed great... am pretty sure when it gets more mature one day we will be able to use it and code some nice things. for the mean time i wish you good luck with your project and happy coding!

Regards
@ruantec

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.