Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this floating around the internet Yesterday.
Enjoy your wasted money, Steam-freaks.

"We regret to inform our customers that as of March 28, 2009, our servers were misused due to an outside illegal interference. As an act of this vandalism, approximately fifty-percent of all Steam-users gained rights and/or licenses for over fifty free items of software; some of them upwards of forty-dollars each. As a result we have been assaulted with numerous lawsuits and slanders from our fellow game developers and clients. Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, Capcom and 2Kgames and many others have already sent in reports that they will be canceling their contracts with us in April. As of today, we have filed for bankruptcy and will be canceling all active Steam accounts on April 15, 2009. In contrast, an offline client of Steam is in production and will be released sometime in late summer of this year. Thank you for your time and support of our software and we are sorry for any inconvenience. More information will become available as we know more about the issue. Again, we are sorry and wish we could have prevented this problem."

- Charles Chancellor, Valve Marketing and Support Council.

:(:(:(

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
April fools?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
HOLY *****, Hell no, that was one of the few companies that i still had respect for. GOD DAMNT IT, how the hell is all the crap publishers still in business (no names mentioned) while these people are going down. its just not right!

edit: hope for April fools.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
edit: hope for April fools.
It is, calm down, don't worry. The reasons given are quite ridiculous.

It's all over 4chan, too...
Well damn, if 4chan says so...
(either way, I won't trust anyone named "Chancellor" who's part of a "council". He probably has a goatee)

·
crazy person
862 Posts
So they found pacsteam & all the other steam cracks. It's highly possible and the reason not ridicoulus since this stuff exists. But, as far as I know. Some games were still protected through other means from downloading. Why couldn't they do that for all games? :(

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Hmm, some people on the Valve forums are talking about it, some actually have proof that they've received some of those "gifts", but mods are aggressively deleting threads since no announcements has been made (officially) yet. Wonder if it's possible to sell the account before the news become too widespread.

·
crazy person
862 Posts
Then why isn't it on Valve's news page? :p
True, but still I always fear that this will come since I heard of the cracks. I tested one by my colleague and the entire games/apps list was avaiable. Some games like Half Life 2 were even downloable. (I deinstalled the crack right afterwards, one for the moral reason and second because I feared Valve might close my account) But it was still a schocking discovery. Modern piracy.....

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
And there is steam emulators as well (for offline playing only), which are illegal and used by pirates. (note i do not use these, Ive seen them before but not used them)

Your right it hasn't even been mentioned on the boards of steam get me to believe this is true, this includes the April fools threads there, and if it was a joke that's the first place it would be mentioned.

edit: although you probably made it up yourself.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yeah right, in case this would happen they'd weed out who abused the system and take action in such a way. In worst case they'll continue as a Valve-game only system. Otherwise the only thing lost would be Geometry Wars, nothing I'd cry over :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.