Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I get my bios, and my GPU thingie, and everything set up, right?

And I start playing VP. And everything is gravy. At first, I've got some mild skipping on voice clips, and Freya's crazy power attack thing lags a little, but most of that is fixed when I Ctrl-Alt-Del and give ePSXe a high priority status.

After a while, I decide to dig out some of my old games and play them instead for a bit.

When I come back and load my save, I suddenly have no gravy. Everything SEEMS fine, until I get into a battle. Then the graphics simply stop. The sound continues, and I can continue to issue commands and whatnot, but the graphics just stop dead. They start up again here and there, but there are times when this issue makes the game unplayable, let alone unenjoyable.

I've fiddled with the settings on my GPU (Petes. I have me a GeForce.) Closed down everything else that was running, ripped the disc to an ISO (the disc is pristine) Even tried mounting the ISO in a virtual drive which I then told ePSXe to load from. (That's how I made Vib Ribbon work)

Nothing gets me back to the gravy boat.

Anyone know how I might fix this?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
post your plugin settings please.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
just post the settings please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plugin: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.1.18
Author: Pete Bernert and the P.E.Op.S. team

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]
Stretch mode: 0
Dither mode: 0

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Misc:
- Scanlines: disabled
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

CDROM is set to G: which is a virtual drive

my controller is set to duel analog with the buttons mapped appropriately to an xbox 360 controller.

I'm on an intermittent wireless connection via a linksys wireless card, on the 802.11-G frequency band.

My thermostat is set to a balmy 76 degrees farenheit.

The knob on my toaster is set to 4

My posting tone is set to "snarky"

Seriously. I appreciate that you're trying to help and all, but when someone asks you to be more specific, don't just repeat the question. as it happens, I THINK I was able to glean what you meant, but considering there are a bunch of plugins I've seen mentioned for PSX emulators, and considering this is the first time I've ever attempted to run one, asking for more specific information is, I think, perfectly reasonable.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
"post your plugin settings please" is about as specific as it needs to be. if you cant provide us with the most basic information on how you have epsxe configured from the get-go then we will have a hard time sorting out your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
if you cant provide us with the most basic information on how you have epsxe configured from the get-go then we will have a hard time sorting out your problem.

Just to be clear: Have I failed to post the necessary information?

If so, what is the necessary information, exactly? I'm a novice here. I was pretty deucedly proud to have gotten this to run at all. You say "plugins" and I say "plugins? Are you kidding? I'm not about to go adding extras before I've got it running stable as a vanilla app."

If by "plugins" you mean the standard crap I had to track down to make it work in the first place, then Huzzah, I divined your meaning, But it's really not as clear as you make it out to be.

In any case, sorry I turned on the snark. If you've got the necessary info to help, I'd really appreciate anything you can tell me. Assuming this mini flamefest hasn't dissuaded the lot of you from helping me in the first place.

·
Discontinued
1,192 Posts
System reboot helps 1/100 times - it happens.

What spu plugin?
- internal
- eternal: async, wait, ms buffer, fixes used
- eternal lite: same thing
- peops dsound: xa playing, change xa speed, spu irq, spuasync / high (timer) / fast (thread)

Tried reloading from in-game memcard saves (no save states)?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
hes using SoftGPU.

use 32bpp instead. 16bpp is slower on modern cards since it has to be converted in the driver to 32bpp anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
use 32bpp instead. 16bpp is slower on modern cards since it has to be converted in the driver to 32bpp anyway.
Done, and no change. If it helps any, the graphics freezes seem to appear only in battle, and specifically when both my controller and the screen have been mostly idle for more than about one second. Controller input resulting in any significant amount of animation (pressing select to bring up the menu works, for instance, while moving around the character select cursor does not) Seems to temporarily dispel the freezes.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Uh... that really sounds like clock states.... Are you using an intel or amd processor?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Is that a dual core cpu? do you have the amd driver installed, is the computer set to use speed states (set windows xp power settings, Vista to performance mode, or XP to home desktop)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Is that a dual core cpu?"

Nope.

"do you have the amd driver installed[?]"

Yep.

is the computer set to use speed states (set windows xp power settings, Vista to performance mode, or XP to home desktop)

If you mean under the power options control panel, then yes. if not, then I'm not sure what you mean (I'm on XP)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.