Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried to run UT version 400 in OpenGL, but it crashes
then i swichted to D3d , and the game runs ok, but i still think that GL would be better, like image quality and speed
so any tips???

· Premium Member
2,776 Posts
You should get the patch to update it to version 436, and also there are some D3D and OpenGL renderer updates which you should download. You can get all this stuff here:

http://unreal.epicgames.com/

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.

· Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
Originally posted by Asfaloth
Zephon speaks well. OpenGL is probably better considering you have a nVidia card, especially since UT traditionally has problems with D3D.
What do you mean by this?Are you just refering to nvidia cards when you say it,because on my ati card with open gl im lucky if I can get the game to even start up :( and if I do its very up and down with the frame rates (any where between 60+ and droping to 30-).
Where as in d3d I get a very constant 70+ and up to 200+ looking at walls.
Also when I choose d3d or ogl it says d3d is certified to work and ogl is experimental.
I have latest updates for UT and the latest OGL for it as well.
But I would like to use OGL as there is those better textures off the second cd in the OGL..

· Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Do NOT use OpenGL for running Unreal or Unreal Tournament. It only has beta support for the API at best and isn't optimized at all. If you do run it using OpenGL expect it to be very slow with lots of graphical errors. OpenGL wasn't a consideration when developing the Unreal engine (it's was designed for the Glide API with Direct3D support added later on). If you have an ATI or Nvidia card use Direct3D. S3 and Rendition owners can use the built-in renderers. UT naturally performs best on a 3dfx card though. My Voodoo 2 can surpass my GeForce 2 in UT (in quality AND speed).

· Registered
235 Posts
Originally posted by Demigod79
Do NOT use OpenGL for running Unreal or Unreal Tournament. It only has beta support for the API at best and isn't optimized at all. If you do run it using OpenGL expect it to be very slow with lots of graphical errors. OpenGL wasn't a consideration when developing the Unreal engine (it's was designed for the Glide API with Direct3D support added later on). If you have an ATI or Nvidia card use Direct3D. S3 and Rendition owners can use the built-in renderers. UT naturally performs best on a 3dfx card though. My Voodoo 2 can surpass my GeForce 2 in UT (in quality AND speed).
Lokis OpenGL renderer for UT kicks ass, it can take advantage of compressed textures(much better image quality, i swear, SUPER high res textures ) and even a frame rate boost... i urge all GF2+ people to get the loki renderer...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.