Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kellicros said:
LMAO, if you are to provide something useful, guides especially. Please make sure they are readable by everyone.
Player-X, check here: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html
The thing about these public proxies is that they're so slow they are next to useless most of the time. When you do find a good one that's fast its only usable for a couple of days before the webmaster turns it off because of the increase in traffic on his server.

IIRC some P2P apps can hide your IP address from prying eyes. Not sure which ones though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you're using a laptop on public wifi (as I often do since I carry a laptop around) then there's no problem. When you're on a public connection, it's untraceable.

If you're looking for a proxy to use with heavy p2p traffic, free servers aren't going to be sufficient. As gubbay stated, they both die quickly and have slow bandwidth. If anonymity is a concern for you, you'll subscribe to a pay service. When you pay for a proxy, you'll know that it is always available and allows for high bandwidth speeds. I cannot recommend any, just Google around for "proxy" and such and you should have no trouble spotting the ads.

For typical web browsing, free servers can be sufficient. Read a guide to understand the differences between anonymity levels, then get ahold of some software (either free or commercial) which handles proxies for you. Basically they will have a selection of public urls from which to grab proxy addresses, can automatically verify their status and anonymity, and sometimes can be set up to manage your web browser settings so you don't have to cut+paste (these also tend to have functions like switching between proxies at different intervals or after a certain amount of data)

I believe that Earthstation 5 was one p2p client professing complete anonymity, but I don't know that they're running anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.