Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was reading that he new ati x1800 xt is gonna bring some cool features for using it as a gpcpu where u can basically let the gpu do somethings the cpu would do, can anyone elaborate if this would benefit emulation as in programming stuff on the gpu

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
i dont think it means it becomes in essence another cpu, i think it just means it is able to handle more vector processing that the cpu would usually handle to reduce the load, it hasnt suddenly become an x86 processor :)

the effect would be minimal, seen as most work would still be done by the cpu, the only thing that it will make faster is the fact it can probably work better with the pixel shaders, which will reduce cpu usage by about 1%

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
magiceyes118 said:
hmm but they r saying it can take over physics, sound etc and stuff look over at beyond3d.com forums
hmm care to show me where you saw this?

i just looked at the specs on that site under the article about it, and it says nothing about anything other than graphics processing

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
hmm well after looking through that (scanning through mind) it looks like the relative performance of the chip itself would be better than most processors..

but, the drawback would be bus bandwidth, PCI/AGP busses have limited bandwidth, even PCI-X isnt much better at the moment than AGP, so there would be a serious limit on bandwidth, so i cant see it being viable to use for emulation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi to all.

Use such high-effective float-point units as X1800 pixel blocks is good idea. More, EE also calls PS2 FPU&Vertex modules (not calc such data by itself). But let's run PS2 emulator stable on our CPU. Only after that we can think about incrizing speed.

Don't worry. I start my own project and will use all current technologies.
Among them 64-bit extention (incrize logical operation in 2-10 times meaning portion of EE 128-bit extention) and enhanced SSE3.
Also my project will create multithread applications.

It's bat news to peoples, who have GPU without Shaders 3.0 or 3Dc (heh, only X1X00 series :) or CPU without 64-bit ext. or SSE3.
Upper requirements is obligatory :)
Also you will need near 32 Mb free disk space for storing exe-file and some dlls :)

But if you'll run PS2 game on your PC, you'll have over 150 fps at most complex places in game with rez 1600x1200 (AA, AF, AAA and more if use X1800) :)
I also will try to incrise quality of models, using on-fly N-patches (or ati's trueform^TM) and something else.

Most part of work will done to January, 2006
You just wait ...

·
Registered
317 Posts
:rolleyes: so your saying that..., hold on its October 2005 so your saying youll be done in what, about 4 months or so?... a fully working PS2 emulator with "150 fps",and a bunch of other stuff that you mentioned :lol: :lol:

Not in your wildest dreams.

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Alex-scat said:
Hi to all.

Use such high-effective float-point units as X1800 pixel blocks is good idea. More, EE also calls PS2 FPU&Vertex modules (not calc such data by itself). But let's run PS2 emulator stable on our CPU. Only after that we can think about incrizing speed.

Don't worry. I start my own project and will use all current technologies.
Among them 64-bit extention (incrize logical operation in 2-10 times meaning portion of EE 128-bit extention) and enhanced SSE3.
Also my project will create multithread applications.

It's bat news to peoples, who have GPU without Shaders 3.0 or 3Dc (heh, only X1X00 series :) or CPU without 64-bit ext. or SSE3.
Upper requirements is obligatory :)
Also you will need near 32 Mb free disk space for storing exe-file and some dlls :)

But if you'll run PS2 game on your PC, you'll have over 150 fps at most complex places in game with rez 1600x1200 (AA, AF, AAA and more if use X1800) :)
I also will try to incrise quality of models, using on-fly N-patches (or ati's trueform^TM) and something else.

Most part of work will done to January, 2006
You just wait ...
Pfffkkk is that it, by Febuary 2006 PCSX2 will be able to make you the finest waffels known to mankind, and will run on a GBmicro at 26,997.63 FPS, what on earth are you smoking........and if it's not got long term effects, can I have some, close this, please great bacon toaster in the sky close this :eyespin: :eyemove: :heh: oO

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Actually scat you're wrong. X1800 will take stress off the CPU with like physics and shading, things that Geforce forces the CPU to do more of. Meaning it will make CPU usage lower at most. Next time actually research before typing up wild BS.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I am not to say that it is not possible. Anything can be done in programming, but that project in 4 months....I do not know. It took the PCSX2 team (a good and very talented group of coders/testers) a few years to get this far and they are not even near 100% nor prolly will not ever reach 100% compatibility and speed. You my friend expect to reach *FULL* compatibility and 150FPS in 4 monts? I think you are stretching yourself thin. Not to mention the 150fps does not really matter if there is a black screen in front of you, or if the game itself is glitchy for whatever reason. While I do not doubt that your emulator cannot emulate the 7+ PS2's cpu's, you would need a hefty huge rig to do such a thing even decently. I do think that you will get around 30-60fps with that setup....but not with all the fancys you are saying you can do. Not to mention the fact that the bus speeds in your setup are not sufficent enough to cover the PS2's bandwidth needs. One more thing, The PCSX2 team realizes that most of the users does not have Athlon 64's or SSE3 (or even SSE2 for that matter) or even the ATI X1x00 series cards. You are building an emulator that will only be used by 2-10% of the PCSX2's userbase. Keep all this in mind.....Sonny.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Folly said:
Nice new sig CKemu!
Also, ffs someone please ban scat already.
if we were to ban him for stupidity, then we should ban you for spamming ;)

please, try and restrain from doing it, and dont tell the mods how to do their job, they will ban somebody if only they feel it neccessary

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pfft, I was accused of spamming ONE time, and that time I actually posted before the other guy so technically he was the one spamming, not me.
The only reason I'm saying to ban scat is because he's basically saying that PCSX2 is worthless because he alone is going to program a better emulator and do it faster than you. Do you really want to keep listening to him saying that over and over again?

·
Registered
57 Posts
If he continues to, then yes. But otherwise, no.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Can someone hit scat with the reality shovel for me? :)

Seriously though, you shouldn't just come in here and claim you have the skill to make an emulator that, aside from disregarding the physical limits of a computer, will out do a project like PCSX2 that has been around for several years in only a few months? There are no programmers that are 'that' optimistic, unless they don't know what they're talking about which means they aren't really programmers... my point being that I don't think you know how outrageous your claim is.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Well, anyone can claim anything, but it's up to them to prove it. I say let him say what he wants. He'll only look more stupid when he fails to succeed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
keep in mind that I much too lazy to read the article, so I could be talking about the wrong thing (but not too lazy to write this post... I'm weird that way) =P

I'm hearing more and more these days about using graphics processors for non graphics calculations and it sounds very intersting. I'm a programmer but know very little about emulation so I am merely speculating, but I don't think this would help the ps2 emulator all that much.

With an emulator I would imagine you don't want to try and change the general logic of how the commands are processed and in what order (if at all) and I think you would have to do so to really take advantage of this. Using the graphics card to do this would be akin to taking a piece of serial code and converting it to be parallel. Which I imagine would be a nightmare of a thing to do for emulation, but someone that is actually writing an emulator should know more than me on that =P

The idea is to simply use the graphics card for what its good at. Highly parallelizable vector calculations. Doesn't have to be vectors, but thats one thing that graphics cards are far better at and so would see a significant improvement.

I've also seen presentations on using the graphics card pixel shaders to apply whatever algorithm to a matrix you send in. So like you could take a 2D image and apply a few interations of a gaussien blur or some such.

One presentation I saw talked about the two programmable areas of the OpenGL pipeline that have been opened up. I forget the step names but one of them is the vector manipulation area (where you would set up your frustram and do vertex transformations and such) and the other was the pixel shader.

The example in the presentation was taking 2d images and converting them to look like they had been painted. The guy did it by have 2 or 3 mini programs that he uploads to the graphics card (I think thats how it works) and would run each for a few iterations on the image before finally displaying it. All of these operations were things you could easily do on the cpu, but because the graphics card can apply this to each pixel simultaneously instead of in a loop, it is a hell of a lot faster.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.