Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I use Dolphin I have to close my Antivirus program because Dolphin says "Failed to grab 1GB of memory"!

Is there anyway around this, because its annoying lol :D!

P.S. If posting an image of the error message will help, let me know.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
You need more memory, what is your pc specs?

·
Mario Kart WII user**
107 Posts
"control alt delete" you can see the programs you have running at once with dophin. I think we have many who are using your memory ram

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was using Kaspersky and even closing it doesn't help. I just uninstalled it eventually and stuck with AVG. I've had no problems since.

·
Code it the hard way :P
1,267 Posts
I was using Kaspersky and even closing it doesn't help. I just uninstalled it eventually and stuck with AVG. I've had no problems since.
Avast > AVG, AVG can be evil.

The error is not due to how much is free, its that the AV program might be modifying Dolphin's RAM which messes it up for Dolphin.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, this problem is caused by antivirus programs that load pieces of themselves into every running program (nasty!), thus clogging up the virtual memory space for Dolphin.

Dolphin, for speed reasons, does its memory management in a rather odd way, leading to this requirement of nearly a gig of contiguous virtual memory space. There are ways around it but I haven't felt that it's worth the trouble to fix... there seems to be a fairly small amount of people with this problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use Avast, and I get this message once for every new revision I try but after that I never get it again. Maybe Avast just does this memory demanding thing once for every program or whatever?

·
1,267 Posts
I use Avast, and I get this message once for every new revision I try but after that I never get it again. Maybe Avast just does this memory demanding thing once for every program or whatever?
I use Avast since version 4.7, and haven't seen error except maybe when Dolphin was so buggy, it kept popping random errors (I think).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Have you tried NOD32 or Avira AntiVir?

·
1,267 Posts
I did try "Avira AntiVir" but the updater and its ADs got annoying and I know NOD32 is good, but I don't really want to keep paying for a subscription, I am careful anyways, so why would I need to keep paying for it for something when I have a small change of getting a virus? Plus I backup. If a file is suspicious to me, I first test it in a Virtual Machine and see what happens.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I did try "Avira AntiVir" but the updater and its ADs got annoying
Yeah, i know what you mean. But as you said, the user is the last defense. Being cautious is the best antivirus.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are ways around it but I haven't felt that it's worth the trouble to fix... there seems to be a fairly small amount of people with this problem.
Plus, it can be solved by simply temporarily turning off the anti-virus program.
Which isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Not in the case of Kaspersky. But actually my experience with Kaspersky is generally pretty bad. It is a massive system hog. Sometimes it just freezes the pc for like 10 minutes.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far ZoneAlarm has been great, doesn't use alot of memory and runs pretty fast. The only thing is Dolphin, but not a big deal :).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:
I'm now using Revision 1556 and it no longer gives me that error message when starting a game, and I still have my ZoneAlarm running!

So is this by chance, or is Dolphin fixed?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts