Next Generation Emulation banner

Using a VIVO graphics card and a digital camera as a webcam

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Snake785 
#1 ·
Since my new 7800GT with ViVo just arrived I have to ask how does one get a Sony Cybershot to work as a webcam using the video out on the camera?

#2 ·
Player-X said:
Since my new 7800GT with ViVo just arrived I have to ask how does one get a Sony Cybershot to work as a webcam using the video out on the camera?
First and foremost, get the latest NVIDIA drivers installed. Then download and install the latest WDM drivers for GeForce 7 series cards. Get those here- http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_geforce_4.13.html

I can tell you how to plug it into your GFX card. Look at the supplies that came with the graphics card. Look for a VIVO splitter (should be something with alot of wires coming out of it with tags that say what they are- Comp. In, S-Video In etc.) Plug the splitter into the VIVO in port on your graphics card (It looks like S-Video out but it really isnt). Now, plug the composite/s-video cable from your camera into your VIVO Splitter on Composite IN/S-Video In(depending on which you are using). Go get virtualdub- http://www.virtualdub.org

Open up the program, go to file->Capture Mode. Then go to Device>nVidia WDM Video Capture. Then go to Video->Video Source and make sure the proper Video source is selected. If you are using Composite, use that. If S-Video, select that.

NOTE: In this case, you aren't using it as a Web cam.

#4 ·
dhkimboa said:
what's vivo?
VIVO stands for Video In Video Out. So, if you have a graphics card with VIVO, you can plug things like an Xbox or Satellite Receiver into your graphics card and sound card, you could watch and record video from these external devices. Sort of like a capture card.

#6 ·
Just check the software that came with your camera. It might be possible. However, I don't believe VIVO is the answer for this. Sounds more like USB or Firewire.

#7 ·
I did it with my cybershot and msn.
Just plug the cable of the cam that is supposedly going to the tv in the yellow plug of your vivo cable and (if you want sound) the audio one to your sound card/red plug of your vivo cable. Then open msn, go to tools, webcam configuration and you should see a small window that is showing what your cam shows.
Iirc, you just turn on your cam and let the button that selects between show/picture/movie in the middle (pictures), this way it will show what happens in the front of it.
There are models that after a few minutes they shut down so in order to prevent that set the button to the left (show what's in the memory stick). It will still show what is happening since you haven't selected anything else. (Mine does that but i don't exactly remember if this is the solution since i haven't used it as a webcam for a few months).

Don't forget to turn on the onscreen display (the one that shows flash type, memory left...) since it will show in msn.
You may need to adjust the ilumination in the config of the cam. Just play with it but the one that is used to enhace the pictures with a lot of blue like one taken at the beach works perfectly).

#11 ·
...?

I, too, am wanting to make my cybershot into a webcam however ...am I just not catching it or does common sense decieve me? Wouldn't I need to have a special splitter cable going FROM the cybershot that split the outgoing into audio and video? Would it go directly to the camera or would it attach from the usb hooked to the camera? Any idea where I could purchase one of these? That would be wonderful. Thanks.
-<3 Gen

#13 ·
Another way to set your videocamera as a 'webcam' and you have some kind of video capture device is to install Windows Media Encoder, configure it to capture whatever is coming from the Composite/S-Video source from your capture card and then anyone who wants to watch, all they need to do is open Windows Media Player, connect to your computer and they'll be able to watch. I think it'll only work if you have WDM drivers for your capture card, but I'm not too sure on that. Just make sure you disable the on-screen display from your camera ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.