Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i wondered if there's a softwear solution for using a ps2 usb controller on a pc (winXP or linux)

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
could you clarify what you mean

-a Playstation 2 control pad or a PS/2 control pad?
-do you want to connect it to a USB port?

if its a playstation 2 pad in a usb port then it can be done with an adapter. I got mine from play.com. the drivers inatall automatically on win xp if thats what you mean by software solution

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
as above, you have to have usb PS2 to PC adapter and drivers to it, than you connect it, install, calibrate and everything should be fine :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok

i meant offcourse a playstaion2 controller. my question comes from this- the controllers i saw at the shop said theyare usb controllers. now, i understand their connection point is not a standart usb connection, but i did find on the net guieds as this one which explain how to convert an xbox gamepad to be usable by pc. i was wondering, that if the ps2 controllers are using the USB protocoll, then it is just a matter of connecting wiers and writing a driver (which on my understanding is not that hard for a gampad). the thing is, i dont have a ps2, and thus don't have an extra controller to try it on (plus i never actualy used a playstation2 controller and have no idea if it isactually USB or not)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
PS2 pads are not USB. They use thier own proprietory interface which is nothing to do with USB. The USB adaptors for using PS2 pads on a PC use a translator chip to work. The XBox is the only console at the moment which uses USB connectivity for controllers

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes the one industrian posted is the best one out there, there are others, like the famous radio shack one, that will work, but you can't use analog and digital at the same time, and forget using a dance pad with them.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Still using my trusty Kiki-Joy that works with PS2 controllers with force feedback, analog, etc. ..

·
band
4,912 Posts
Still using my trusty Kiki-Joy that works with PS2 controllers, force feedback, analog, etc. ..
whoa....so the analogue buttons DO work on pc???!11

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
>>whoa....so the analogue buttons DO work on pc???!11

they work on mine too. dunno about the rumble feature never tested it, never intend too.

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
here is a link to the one I have
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=114167
as you can see you can plug 2 pads into it (and by can I mean should - if you only have one pad in it then itautomatiicallty thinks that the second port has a pad pushing one of the sticks left. actually this didnt happen to me right away or to my frind until he re-intalled windows, possibley an sp2 problem)

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Evil_Neko said:
>>whoa....so the analogue buttons DO work on pc???!11

they work on mine too. dunno about the rumble feature never tested it, never intend too.
Don't you mean the analog sticks? Analog buttons doesn't work on PC, they simply can't because of limitations on directx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kane said:
PS2 pads are not USB. They use thier own proprietory interface which is nothing to do with USB. The USB adaptors for using PS2 pads on a PC use a translator chip to work. The XBox is the only console at the moment which uses USB connectivity for controllers

so why does the package say USB controller?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
They don't. The PS2 has USB ports for racing controllers, but the PS2 pads as I said are a proprietory format. IIRC USB didn't even exist when hte PSX was being developed and hte PS2 pads are an extension of that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts