Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using 32-bit display colour with windows properties, some games (DirectX) when launched would cause my CPU usage to go 100% even with games that has nothing to do with much processing or graphics processing like many freewares. But when I set the colour display to 16-bit. A freeware game like "Chalk" will take 100% CPU usage with 32-bit but will take only 1% CPU usage with 16-bit oO.
I have this desktop for long time and this problem won't go away whatever I do... I tried formatting the comp with Windows XP SP2 and SP3 both without updating the drivers (So the Microsoft one is used with the 5200 FX) and the problem is the same. Tried updating every single driver in the comp but the problem is standing up. Tried to mess with the BIOS but the problem is THERE. Tried to so desperate stuff that might have nothing to do with my problem ...... I tried to set the refresh rate back to 60 Hertz.... EVERYTHING.
To be honest, some light games will take 100% no matter what display colour I choose.

Windows XP SP3
North Bridge: VIA K8M800/K8N800
Mobile AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.60 GHz
1.00 GB DDR400 (Timings: 3.0-4-4-8 T1) RAM
AGP 8x: nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
15" CRT

What should I do?

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
i recommend a new computer. even a $200 one would destroy yours.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
DON'T USE MICROSOFT DRIVERS!

I've had numerous problems in the past using the Microsoft provided drivers, ranging from OpenGL issues to hardware acceleration issues. Go directly to nVidia's site and download the latest WHQL drivers for your card. You may also need to download the latest VIA motherboard drivers too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i recommend a new computer. even a $200 one would destroy yours.
Thank you but I want to fix the issue.
DON'T USE MICROSOFT DRIVERS!
I've had numerous problems in the past using the Microsoft provided drivers, ranging from OpenGL issues to hardware acceleration issues. Go directly to nVidia's site and download the latest WHQL drivers for your card. You may also need to download the latest VIA motherboard drivers too.
:drool:
Thank you, I already said:
Tried updating every single driver in the comp but the problem is standing up

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
He is right though. There is no "problem", per se. Things taking 100% CPU usage, even though they may need less, is quite normal. It's not necessarily how much those things are actually needing/using. It's normal for this to happen, but I did not know this did not happen when in 16-bit color. Either you're experiencing some odd effects, or it doesn't happen in 16-bit color, but it doesn't impact anything either way really, does it? If not, then what's the problem?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
cpu is calculating transparencies n ****.

·
Registered
146 Posts
c'mon guys those sempron is P4 equivalent ,not super old mmx pc 32bit should not an issue lol

Haithm try use vga driver from your vga CD (that came in one box with your VGA, some latest driver maybe too slow for your PC)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lord Zedeck said:
He is right though. There is no "problem", per se. Things taking 100% CPU usage, even though they may need less, is quite normal. It's not necessarily how much those things are actually needing/using. It's normal for this to happen, but I did not know this did not happen when in 16-bit color. Either you're experiencing some odd effects, or it doesn't happen in 16-bit color, but it doesn't impact anything either way really, does it? If not, then what's the problem?
Thank you Lord Zedeck. I was really waiting for your post and Squall-Leonhart's post too. Before I posted the thread, I decided to explain everything in the fear of people misunderstand me. I know that some applications may take 100% even though they take less however it does happen with some applications only if set the display quality colour to 32-bit but it will take 1% or 2% of CPU usage of the SAME application with 16-bit. That tells me there is something wrong and I have found a solution >
jembut said:
c'mon guys those sempron is P4 equivalent ,not super old mmx pc 32bit should not an issue lol

Haithm try use vga driver from your vga CD (that came in one box with your VGA, some latest driver maybe too slow for your PC)
Well, I have tried other old drivers and they fix the problem! Thank you jembut. ....Squall-Leonhart, I am sorry for being harsh to you.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Well, what Squall-Leonhart says here...
Squall-Leonhart said:
cpu is calculating transparencies n ****.
...sounds like it makes sense to me, but of course the drivers may be able to change things. Still, I wouldn't consider it a "problem" that it uses that much CPU.

The only case where I could imagine it being an issue is in, say, some systems (namely some older OEMS) that'd rev up the PSU or case fan depending on the CPU load (some Compaqs did this for sure). This annoyed me as the PSU fan would needlessly rev up real loud whenever ePSXe started up. As the PSU nor CPU was not warm to the touch, and this behavior seemed odd to me, I read up on it, cut the wire that was responsible, and it worked flawlessly, and quietly.

Why is this a problem in your case, or do you simply not want the CPU usage that high?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
The applets make use of GDI probably which practically eats cpu when doing transparency.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.