Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Leading the way.
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places guys, but is there such a thing as a free usenet client and server? I cant imagine that most people who use them want to pay for them in the first place.

·
Leading the way.
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it like, a full binary newsgroup thing? Someone said, "If you need to find something, use usenet." But you have to pay for everything I see usenet related.

·
I Burnt The Toast!
1,493 Posts
XNews and Grabit are all I use for clients. As for services, I use my ISP's (Shaw) provided groups for quick grabs, and Giganews for older posts. Giganews is a hell of deal, ~25/mo, and unlimited d/l. Retention is awsome too, I can go back a couple months if need be. Takes a while to get headers on some groups though, you know, the 1m+ header groups.

·
Leading the way.
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on 1,400 posts, Cylinder. I still watch TPB, by the way.

So there's no such thing as a free server?

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Hmmm... you could try news.t-online.de . This is the one my ISP provides, but it might work for you, too.

·
I Burnt The Toast!
1,493 Posts
I didn't even realize that was post 1400, lol. TY.

If your ISP doesn't provide a usenet service, your probly going to be kind of limited to whet you can access.

·
Leading the way.
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do I find out what my ISP provides?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Free usenets servers do exist, but are VERY limited and moderated to the extreme...
My ISP doesn't supply usenet (Small cable company) so I sub to newshosting.com. $14.95/mo for unlimited. Covers 99% of servers and like Cylinders, has very, very good retention (Not quite as long though)...

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
You actually pay $$$ for that? oO

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I never used usenet...

·
Leading the way.
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adelphia (my ISP) does provide a few servers, but I have to log in. I dont know that I can...

·
Heh...
1,905 Posts
Computertrendy said:
Adelphia (my ISP) does provide a few servers, but I have to log in. I dont know that I can...
Don't know your situation why you can't but according to this you need an email address and password

http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm

You probably use your email address they provided you. All you gotta do is call them up if you don't have it or whatever your situation is.

·
Leading the way.
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll give that a try. Thanks. My dad is the one who set the whole thing up so I'll ask him if he knows what they gave us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts