Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Well... from my experience, not all drives work under linux (yet).

Best I can suggest:

1. Plug in the drive
2. type dmesg | tail
3. add the corresponding SCSI disc to your /etc/fstab (probably either /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 - especially sda1 if it's under 1 gig). If a drive never shows up under dmesg, you probably can't read it. Also, if you mount it and it says it can't figure out what filesystem it's using, you probably can't read it.

I find I can read 90%+ of all memory sticks, but there's still a few floating around that I can't read/write to.

Also, it may be possible that your kernel does not have the necessary capabilities - if that is the case, you will need to install your kernel sources, configure your kernel, and re-compile it. A good kernel configuration guide can be found here. Note that even though this is a kernel config for Gentoo, it will work for any other version of linux as well - linux is linux.

In order to use the above, you will need to install your RedHat kernel sources. I doubt this is installed by default, so use whatever RedHat uses to install them. Start in the above URL at 7.c. Default: Manual Configuration. Go carefully through everything in the make menuconfig. When finished compiling, make sure you back up your existing kernel. If things go south with your new kernel, you'll want to have a way to go back to normality. Edit your grub/lilo config file to point to your new kernel, and additionally, for safety, point to your old one as well as an option.

That should do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.