Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I ordered an HD4830 to replace my current 8800GTS 320MB, I choose the HD4830 (512MB) for the price and for the OCking performance that, according to many ppl, It can perform almost equal to the HD4850.

For PC games I'm almost sure that this ATi card will smoke my 8800GTS, but I'm not sure about emulation.

Many of you said that Nvidia cards perform better, is it true??

thanx for the support.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
are you sure 4830 is that much better than the 8800gts, i think you shoud have went for 4870 minimum to see any real gain in performance especially at higher resolutions... last benchmarks i saw 4850 was only 10% at most faster 8800gts so i dont see why you are bothering for a card like that unless it dirt cheap

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn, I already ordered it, but supposedly the 4830 are a little better that the 9800GT, and the 9800GT are much better than this 8800GTS (remember that mine is G80 core, dinosauric 90nm arqu.).

Takin about the 4770 it uses GDDR5 doesn't it?, but It also uses a 128-bit interface, I think It can exist a bootleneck there, just guessing here, in any case I cannot afford it 'cause any of my resellers have it.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Wait. You're talking about the 320MB/640MB 8800GTS. That 8800GTS is quite slow compared to the 512MB one.

Even the Radeon 3850 can be as fast as that. Until AA is used in the 640MB version.

As for the Radeon 4770, it IS faster than the 4830. Seriously. But the 4850 is still a little faster. But since the 4770 is a whole lot more overclockable.

ATI Radeon HD 4770: 40nm Goes Mainstream : Introduction - Review Tom's Hardware

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
A GeForce 8800GTS (any version) shouldn't really be a bottleneck for most games in PCSX2 anyway unless you want to use high AA or internal drawing resolution. I'm not sure of Dolphin.

I've heard it was fixed, but there are showings of faster Radeon HD cards (3xx0 and 4xx0 cards) being slower than slower GeForce cards in PCSX2. For example, I've seen someone struggle to get Budokai Tenkaichi 3 working right with a 4GHz Penryn and a Radeon HD4850 until they used the DirectX10 version of GSdx (which is faster than the DirectX 9 version). My weaker GeForce 8800GT plays the game fine, albeit at 1400x1050 or lower.

The reason is these Radeon cards offload alot of work onto the CPU, and since that takes away from the CPU PCSX2 heavily needs every bit of, speed goes down. Again, someone said this was fixed, but to what extent or if so remains to be shown. It has been shown by one member to happen, and other users' results confirm it. I'm just giving you a heads up.

You should have gone with the GeForce equivalent to the Radeon HD4830, which is the GeForce 8800GT/9800GT (they're the same card). However, since said card is slightly weaker than the GeForce 8800GTX, and your card is also a cut down version of that, would it be worth it? Maybe for games, but for PCXS2, I'd say no. personally, a GTX260 level card should have been minimum. If you needed a cheap upgrade, the GeForce 8800GT/9800GT would have been a small boost for somewhat cheap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
questiona about old computer

hi i`m new and i just want to ask will the emulator run the oldest ps2 games on my pc 900 mhz,320 ram,video 64.I know it`s extremely old,but i was wondering if the first ps2 games ever released will run on it

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for your answers guys, speacially Lord Zedeck for the very nice feedback of my choose using PCSX2.

A shame that I can only upgrade to a HD4830/4850, Talking about Nvidia counterparts,this are more expensive, about 50 bucks more for a 8800GT (what a rip off).

Also I'm stuck with my 550W PSU, so any VGA that uses more than 1 PCI-E jack It's out of the equation, and If I recall right the GTX260 (even the GTS250) uses 2XPCI-E connectors, and upgrading my PSU isn't an option right now, too MUCH expensive and lack of descent models.

I already ordered the HD4830, can change the order for a HD4850 for $50 more, but I think I'll get the 4830, are nicely cheaper and I'm planning to OC it a little, readed that in most tests the performance is not too huge.

Again thanx for your support.

@chelseafan

Nope, I think your PC will not even run PSOne games decently, your CPU is ancient and don't think It haven't the SSE2 instructions, low RAM and low video RAM, especially if It last is onboard, onboard video chipset SUCKS for emulation (except the Geforce 6/7 series, Radeon HD series, this ones are very low end models but perform descently in some instances like PSOne/N64 emus and maybe some 2D Dolphin/PCSX2, guessing in this last two).

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
It would be more than fine for PSX emulation, but Playstation 2 emulation is out of the question. Not only would it be very slow, but the Pentium III and AMD CPUs of that time didn't have SSE2, which the emulators needs, as SSE2 wasn't out yet then.

For the new video card, for PC games, performance will go up.

For PCSX2, it will likely go down.

I don't know about Dolphin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.