Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you help me select a CPU? my budget is $400 I cant decide if I want to go intel or AMD 64. the amd's overall performance is better than the intel p4's but intels handle sse2 instructions better I dont plan to overclock.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ChaosCode said:
this is an indirect way of asking for specs of pcsx2. read the rules.

Get over yourself!! the faq's cleary state that its not known at this time what is recommended to run the emulator. and has been said many times that no consumer available parts will make it run properly. I know this, I am asking for cpu suggestions because I want to get the most for my money. PCSX2 is not the only 32-bit emulator and application I use that benefits from SSE2 :rolleyes:

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Afrodziac said:
Get over yourself!! the faq's cleary state that its not known at this time what is recommended to run the emulator. and has been said many times that no consumer available parts will make it run properly. I know this, I am asking for cpu suggestions because I want to get the most for my money. PCSX2 is not the only 32-bit emulator and application I use that benefits from SSE2 :rolleyes:
Then why didn't you ask this question in the hardware forum instead of in PCSX2?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
For $400, you can get a PS2 and quite a few games.

Moved to hardware.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
generalplot said:
Then why didn't you ask this question in the hardware forum instead of in PCSX2?

This is the forum I mostly Visit I didnt even realise that there was a hardware section, mods please move thread before generalplot gets more sand in his vagina.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
generalplot: please dont start flaming.

Afrodziac: you could of paid more attention to where you were posting this. Anyone who follows the PCSX2 forum is harsh, because we do get alot of idiots in there.

(btw nice touch with the sand in the vagina. <3 southpark)

Lets get this back on track please.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
All AMD 64's support SSE2, and SSE3 I believe....and I would go with AMD over Intel anyday.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I would say gor for either venice or sandiego athlon64 cpu and make sure you have the aprropriate socket939 mobo to go with it.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Intel=slightly more stable not as fast AMD=not quite as stable but quite a bit faster.
Myth: AMD is less stable than Intel
Fact: They are both equally stable
Myth: AMDs are less reliable
Fact: AMD is just as good as intel

Right now AMD is faster for gaming but slower for processing videos or encoding MP3s in terms of heat and power consumption AMD is better than Intel

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Player-X said:

Right now AMD is faster for gaming but slower for processing videos or encoding MP3s in terms of heat and power consumption AMD is better than Intel

Ok I am leaning towards 64

·
Registered
885 Posts
Player-X said:

I agree, if u are using your PC to do some video or mp3s encoding, go for Intel, but for gaming, don't expect Intel run xtreme fast on 3D.

another myth: AMD is hot like hell.
The fact is: Pentium 4 3.06 ~50C AMD 64 3000+ ~45C, who's getting hot anyway?

·
Terminal Dogma
256 Posts
fact: Intels are more stable, I would not put an AMD in a server and most computers and servers i have problems with are AMD but AMD is still stable enough for home computing, just dont leave it on for months at a time, I am not biased because i work with a lot of different computers and most stability problems are stemmed from rubbish motherboards anyway, I also think AMD's duel cores are far superior to intels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yep amd's can handle more heat. well the 64 ones anyways >> the xp's arent as good. im loving my socket 754 AMD Athlon 3000+ i was able to overclock it from 2000ghz to 2400ghz on only stock air cooling ...... not that u care cause u arent oc'ing but oh well.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
fact: Intels are more stable, I would not put an AMD in a server and most computers and servers i have problems with are AMD but AMD is still stable enough for home computing, just dont leave it on for months at a time, I am not biased because i work with a lot of different computers and most stability problems are stemmed from rubbish motherboards anyway, I also think AMD's duel cores are far superior to intels.
Myth: AMD Athlon line processors are for servers
Fact: AMD Opterons are server processors
Fact: That is only true if you are talking about the old polamino and thunderbird cores
Fact: My Barton 2600+ hasn't been shut down since march 2005
Fact: You are not bias if you are not human
Fact: Intel also has bad moherboards
yep amd's can handle more heat. well the 64 ones anyways >> the xp's arent as good. im loving my socket 754 AMD Athlon 3000+ i was able to overclock it from 2000ghz to 2400ghz on only stock air cooling ...... not that u care cause u arent oc'ing but oh well.
you shoud have gotten the socket 939 Mobos the 754 Mobos are only short term low-mid end sockets

·
Terminal Dogma
256 Posts
Myth: AMD Athlon line processors are for servers
Fact: AMD Opterons are server processors
Fact: That is only true if you are talking about the old polamino and thunderbird cores
Fact: My Barton 2600+ hasn't been shut down since march 2005
Fact: You are not bias if you are not human
Fact: Intel also has bad moherboards
I was referring to the standard desktop cpu's not the high end server ones your standard pentium is more stable.

I never singled out AMD as having bad motherboards,i only use nforce gigabyte and intel mobos, if you use via or pc chips (£10 mobo WTF!?) then prepare for BSOD attack.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Excuse me but you my friend has the worst case of ad bias I have ever seen.
I was referring to the standard desktop cpu's not the high end server ones your standard pentium is more stable.
As I am saying I have my main AMD CPU PC running for months now without a restart with no problems.
if you use via or pc chips (£10 mobo WTF!?) then prepare for BSOD attack.
My secondary PC has a MSI VIA KT400 chipset and no BSODs so since it was built

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Player-X, you are so totally right with you myth/fact statements.

Afrodziac, I know the perfect processor you could get! Athlon 64 X2 Manchester 3800+ processor! Look here for the great review of its price verses its power. And starting at $354, its right in your price range.

Edit: Here is some of the more important quotes that might help you make a dicision if your not going to read the review.
The Tech Report said:
The gaming performance of the X2 3800+ isn't stellar compared to higher-clocked Athlon 64 models, but it's still better than any Pentium D or Pentium 4 in the bunch, even the Extreme Edition 3.73GHz. The X2 3800+ surprisingly manages to best the Athlon 64 3500+ in a couple of tests, even though the X2 3800+ runs at a lower clock speed.
The Tech Report said:
3DMark's main test is obviously graphics-bound, since the CPU doesn't seem to matter much to the overall score. The CPU test, however, uses multiple software threads to handle vertex processing, and the dual-core processors get to strut their stuff. The X2 3800+ finishes just behind the Pentium Extreme Edition 840 and just ahead of AMD's single-core monster, the Athlon 64 FX-57.
The Tech Report said:
Despite its relatively low clock speed, the X2 3800+ makes a very decent media encoding processor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts