6600GT AGP
Corsair 2 x 512mb PC3200
LG L1915S
650w PSU

I'd like to upgrade to something like

Saphire X800GTO2 16 pipes enabled
ECCS KN1 SLI 939pin
Athlon 4000+ or X2 4400

I'm honestly not sure what to go for next but would the above be a worthwhile improvement?
Any advice much appreciated

Cheers,
Leo

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
to be honest the 6800GS would be a better buy, but the X800 GTO2 is about the same performance as the 6600GT.

if you are getting an X2 chip, make sure the board has the Errata 123 option, which fixes a major caching/timing bug on the X2 chips which causes problems in quite a few games that dont support dual cores.

I know the DFI Lanparty UT boards and the latest BIOS supports this, but not sure on any others, but it is a sweet board :)

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
thats a pretty darn good computer all in itself, why would you want to upgrade it already? i'd personally wait a while, as intel plans to release stuff like quad cores this year and prices of other processors will go down and waht not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys:) your advice is always appreciated
Well I'm not what you'd call well off but I've been saving for a while
Surprised with the comment about the X800gto2 being about the same as my 6600GT, I've read various reviews that say once its been unlocked to 16pipes and overclocked it runs faster than any of the 6800's
If its worth the wait then thats ok, to be honest my pc does not run games too bad but I would have liked something a lot better, I seem to be a bit limited regarding upgrading my current board with it being 754pin and AGP

ATB!
Leo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
james.miller said:
the gto2 is much faster thasn a 6600gt. try faster than a 6800ultra when overclocked. look at my 3dmark scores;)
Thanks James
To be honest I thought there must be some catch with these gto2 cards, they seem a bit too cheap but I've not seen a negative review yet
My main problem is my AMD 64 3200+ and mobo is 754pin and its AGP so because these cards are PCI-E only I thought I may as well upgrade the lot if its worth it.
The X2 4400 seemed the obvious choice but I'm not sure now, I'd like to not have to upgrade again for a while, there is the 7800GT cards but look at the price, is it really a lot better than the gto2 and would it be worth the extra expensive regarding performance difference

Anyway thats a nice score you got on 3dmark 05, about 800 more than I got:thumb:
None of my stuff is overclocked

ATB!
Leo

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
lol. i've look around and 6600gt's seem to be remarkably good at 05', but when faced with a real game my gto2 laughs at them and leaves them in the dust.

3dmark 0'1 IMO is still the best indication of real world games performance

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
james.miller said:
lol. i've look around and 6600gt's seem to be remarkably good at 05', but when faced with a real game my gto2 laughs at them and leaves them in the dust.

3dmark 0'1 IMO is still the best indication of real world games performance
I just downloaded and run 3dmark 01, my score was 18,772:lol: thats a bit lower than yours;)

Well nobody else seems to be commenting so the gto2 seems the favourite so far unless somebody can convince me to go for the 7800GT.
I'm hoping to start ordering the stuff in a couple of weeks

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
For the CPU: Dual core is a nice option to have, but as no games are (yet) taking advantage of it it may be a bit soon to buy at that price (unless you're like me and buys something incredible, then lives with it for 5 years). For the short term, take Refraction's advice on the errata123 defect - for a short time, this may well affect many vendors. Eventually, all vendors will fix this or they will have non-functional boards.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
A few games such as Quake 4 and Call of Duty 2 already have patches to enable multithreading for perfomance improvements on dual-core systems. Although hardly comparable to a game written from the ground up for dual-core, These patches enable the X2 4800 to outperform the FX-57 dispite the 200MHz deficit in these particular games.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll keep my eye open regarding the Errata 123 option, I'm not sure what boards have this but thanks for mentioning it:)
If my mobo was 939pin PCI-E it would be a lot easier, I could just buy the graphics card first and the processor a bit later, If I buy an AGP card now I'm going to be stuck when I want to upgrade later
Why can't things be simple:eyemove:

I was looking at the 7800GT's but these are about £100 UKP's more than the GTO2, no idea if this one is worth that much extra regarding price difference

Another thing that was bothering me, my TFT monitor does not have DVI, is there some sort of plug you can use on a graphics card that has DVI outputs only?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
KillerShots said:
For the CPU: Dual core is a nice option to have, but as no games are (yet) taking advantage of it it may be a bit soon to buy at that price (unless you're like me and buys something incredible, then lives with it for 5 years). For the short term, take Refraction's advice on the errata123 defect - for a short time, this may well affect many vendors. Eventually, all vendors will fix this or they will have non-functional boards.
Yeah, but for every game that receives a performance boost, another has severe lockup or performance issues. NVIDIA drivers in particular seem to cause a lot of problems with applications that wouldn't otherwise throw a fit over dual core. I've been kicking myself for adopting the X2 so early. Hopefully they'll smooth this out over time.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Hmm... I've been running SMP for several years and have seen few games that throw a fit over it. Are you sure you're not seeing other issues?

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
The x2 issues are not related to smp, it's dual core cpu's that are having problems right now:)

multibit - the asrock s939 dual from www.cpucity.co.uk. £50, its s939 and supports both AGP and pci-e. sorted;)

Another thing that was bothering me, my TFT monitor does not have DVI, is there some sort of plug you can use on a graphics card that has DVI outputs only?
Yep, all the dvi only cards should come with convertors:)

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
What about the dual core CPUs is different from an SMP system? Now you've got my interest piqued.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
james.miller said:
esentially nothing, its just a software problem which still hasn't been sorted properly by MS
Actually, it's a problem with most drivers. NVidia has been the primarily culprit for me. Their "optimizations" cause any Valve game to lock up the entire system once in a while. Paint Shop Pro freezes at "registering modules" while installing and won't continue unless you disable hardware accelleration. The system halts if you have "turn off hard disks" enabled in power management and the system actually tries to turn them off. My PVR doesn't work properly (freezes in the middle of recording). Etc, etc, etc....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.