Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think it would be worth upgrading my 8800GT 512MB to a GTX 285? Money's not really a concern since I can afford the 285 pretty easily. Would double the VRAM and shaders be worth spending $339? I currently play games in 1680x1050 with 2 to 4x AA. The 8800GT struggles a bit with the AA sometimes[*cough* TF2].

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Depends on your requirements, if it's just to run with more AA, I'd try to resist the urge and pick up a next generation card, since the 8800GT is kinda the mainstream target for games anyway, and I doubt anything would not run properly on it.

If money's no concern, I'd still check your PSU first. Though the Antec 650W should be enough. On second thought, seems according to your sig that you went out and bought it already. Enjoy it, and be sure to let it fold ;)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
and then the war of the machines will start!

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
What pisses me off now days is most sites don't do reviews of the whole gamut of videocards.

No comparison charts of 7000's vs 8800's vs gtx200's

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
PC6400 = 800MHz correct? That's not really slow in desktop terms, but server ram is fully buffered which slows it down a good bit.

Also, the Skulltrial motherboard was nothing more than a server motherboard anyway. I believe you could get a server mobo with the same chipset for much less.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.